The end of Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
or Windows ME
Shhhhh....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I'm sure it will be the same as all the previous versions - people will moan it's not as good as 3.1/95/NT/98/ME/2000/XP/7/8/10 and then they get used to it and life will continue until until a new version comes out which won't be as good as the previous version which was the best ever and the cycle continues.

Was Vista so bad it didn’t make your list?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The reality is is that imo there really is nowhere for Windows to go in terms of the front end experience as far as the average user is concerned.

Every major past iteration has been accompanied by much hoo-hah prior to release and when it finally arrive it is somewhat underwhelming - looking, at least to me, very little changed from the preceding version.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The reality is is that imo there really is nowhere for Windows to go in terms of the front end experience as far as the average user is concerned.

Every major past iteration has been accompanied by much hoo-hah prior to release and when it finally arrive it is somewhat underwhelming - looking, at least to me, very little changed from the preceding version.
Wasn't Windows 8 supposed to be the game-changer - the new-style OS, giving a common look 'n feel across all hardware - PC/laptop/tablet/phone - and 10 the version where that philosophy at least began to look viable. Have to say I'm with you: none of them really make much difference, since I only ever use whatever Windows I have to start up the handful of programs I actually use, all of which look & work exactly the same, regardless of which Windows they're running on. I eventually 'upgraded' from Windows 7 to 10 when the support stopped, but my Word & Chrome look just the same.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Wasn't Windows 8 supposed to be the game-changer - the new-style OS, giving a common look 'n feel across all hardware - PC/laptop/tablet/phone - and 10 the version where that philosophy at least began to look viable. Have to say I'm with you: none of them really make much difference, since I only ever use whatever Windows I have to start up the handful of programs I actually use, all of which look & work exactly the same, regardless of which Windows they're running on. I eventually 'upgraded' from Windows 7 to 10 when the support stopped, but my Word & Chrome look just the same.

Not sure which version kicked off the App-feel start menu. Presumably aimed at those used to the Smartphone experience and possibly little understanding how to find their way around a desktop/laptop.

Don't use it myself - just about everything I need is accessible from the taskbar.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
So was I. I resisted the temptation but support for W7 stopped so I did the free upgrade. Fine, apart from the fact that I finished up with a hardrive over 90% full.
I got a techy mate to install a 1 trilobite HD to prevent any future problems. I suspect whatever replaces W10 will eat even more disc space.
how big was the old HD?

I didn't notice any significant difference in used disc space when upgrading from 7 to 10

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
how big was the old HD?
Well when I bought it I was told that it was massive. I'm no good with numbers so does 126 something or other - gigabyte???- sound right?
I was into the red zone on the graphic of usage. So I spoke to a mate and he said put a trilobyte in. That will future proof me. Only cost something like £70, plus a pub meal.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Well when I bought it I was told that it was massive. I'm no good with numbers so does 126 something or other - gigabyte???- sound right?
I was into the red zone on the graphic of usage. So I spoke to a mate and he said put a trilobyte in. That will future proof me. Only cost something like £70, plus a pub meal.
126GB sounds about right.

I keep all the software on the internal HD (240GB SSD) and everything else (music, films, photos) on external drives. My internal SSD currently has 91GB of used space, and that's W10 plus all the other installed software.

Last edited:
Top Bottom