The end of Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
With regards to TPM, later processors have it built into the chips although it does need to be enabled in the bios, fTPM for AMD and PTT for Intel. There is also a possibility that your motherboard will support an add-in TPM chip. It's worth checking in the manual.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Surprisingly, my 9 year old laptop has a Secure Boot option.

The checker doesn't complain about my hardware, but there are rumours that MS will insist on an 8th generation CPU - that would be 2017 onwards)

Surprisingly, my 9 year old laptop has a Secure Boot option.

The checker doesn't complain about my hardware, but there are rumours that MS will insist on an 8th generation CPU - that would be 2017 onwards)
Don't think they are going to insist, but they would certainly prefer it...
Edit: seems to depend on where you look. The MS list I saw showed down to 6th generation.

Last edited:
Minor thrread revival: Microsoft appear to be backing down a little, so what was described above may change a bit.
What will not change:
You must have a PC with a UEFI BIOS, no ifs or buts. So my laptop wont cut it.
Otherwise, there are now minor during-install registry hacks that make it work, and I'm currently trying it on my TV box, an i5-3470 with 8GB RAM.
Watch this space...

400ixl

Be careful, they have said they most likely won't stop anyone installing it on non compliant hardware, but they also stated that those devices may not get updates, including security patches.

You also have to consider is it worth it. Windows 10 will be supported past the end of 2023 and many of the cosmetic features of 11 will appear in 10 anyway. Unless there is something specific you can't get the risk may outweigh the reward.

Its all different whilst in beta, but check carefully when in full release. Dead easy to get the beta installed on a non compliant machine though, and whilst in this phase updates will be applied.

Top Bottom