The England permutations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

ENGLAND BEAT SLOVENIA, USA DRAW OR LOSE AGAINST ALGERIA
The dour performance against Algeria is forgotten and a nation rejoices (or something like that) as England keep their World Cup hopes alive. England would qualify as Group C winners with five points and secure a meeting with the runners-up from Group D (possibly Germany). If USA draw, Slovenia advance as runners-up. If USA lose, goal difference would determine whether Slovenia (currently +1) or Algeria (-1) go through in second place.

ENGLAND BEAT SLOVENIA, USA BEAT ALGERIA
Fabio Capello can breathe easily in this instance too as England book their place in the last 16. England and USA would finish level on five points and goal difference would determine who progresses as Group C winners. If goal difference remains level, as is the case at the moment, goals scored (currently England 1, USA 3) would decide who finishes top.

ENGLAND DRAW, USA DRAW
In this scenario, England need a high scoring draw on Wednesday. Slovenia would go through as group winners, with England and USA finishing level on three points. Goals scored would decide who progresses, but if both sides are even then lots will be drawn.

ENGLAND DRAW, USA WIN OR LOSE
England head for the departures gate, but can take solace from the fact that they will at least be home in time to watch the tennis at Wimbledon. Should USA win then they would finish level with Slovenia on five points and progress, should Bob Bradley's men lose then Algeria, with four points, would take the runners-up spot.

ENGLAND LOSE
Doomsday. England are eliminated and finish the group with two points. The post-mortem begins.

Best they come home really and get it over with.

darkstar

I remain to be confident, England will win on wednesday. That is my prediction, feel free to bring it up on Wednesday after the match.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Debian said:
No it doesn't.

Re-read my OP :smile:
I concede the point, I was making an assumption on what was proposed for previous tournaments.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Received this morning...

2h5ta8g.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Let's be positive about this. All it means for England tomorrow is that the knockout stages have started one game early.

If we drew Slovenia in a later round no-one would think it was a disaster and poor form is recoverable, as we see every year in our own league.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If one wanted to be positive one would I think say that as a lot of big names seem to be struggling, provide we win the group one could reasonably see England getting to the semis with the right work and attitude.

darkstar

darkstar said:
I remain to be confident, England will win on wednesday. That is my prediction, feel free to bring it up on Wednesday after the match.
Thank you very much.

Top Bottom