The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Okay what about cycling for 14 miles there and back, in the day and night in London? Can anyone give me tips for this part other than high vis clothing and lights?
You'd be better off starting a thread in "commuting" you'll get plenty of help and suggestions.

but for starters (and this is all mostly in the guide)

communicate with drivers .

Observation, use plenty of rear obs in particular (some say every 20 seconds)

Clear and predictable moves.

Take a strong and clear position and thank those you hold up in doing so (communication really)

Eat bannanas

Use wet lube

Wear glasses

Carry or wear overshoes

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
You'd be better off starting a thread in "commuting" you'll get plenty of help and suggestions.

but for starters (and this is all mostly in the guide)

communicate with drivers .

Observation, use plenty of rear obs in particular (some say every 20 seconds)

Clear and predictable moves.

Take a strong and clear position and thank those you hold up in doing so (communication really)

Eat bannanas

Use wet lube

Wear glasses

Carry or wear overshoes

Great thanks and cycling in the night time? Is it better busy roads in the night or quiet. At least with quiet you can well be fast in cycling and there is nobody there.

Phill057

I have to say it is full of common sense regarding cycling around traffic. My biggest piece of advice for cyclist, and I cycle in both rural and Urban conditions would be to Be Seen. I never ever ever ever go anywhere on my bike with out Hi viz reflective coat. And Flashing LED on the back of the bike. Day Night winter Summer it does not matter. Be seen is the biggest and best thing. Further more I recommend that do not keep too far in on left on small or narrow roads. That are going slowly anyway. Take up the space of a car so that cannot pass you. Believe me they will squeeze you out and try to get past when there is no room. So make up their minds for them keep out

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have to say it is full of common sense regarding cycling around traffic. My biggest piece of advice for cyclist, and I cycle in both rural and Urban conditions would be to Be Seen. I never ever ever ever go anywhere on my bike with out Hi viz reflective coat. And Flashing LED on the back of the bike. Day Night winter Summer it does not matter. Be seen is the biggest and best thing. Further more I recommend that do not keep too far in on left on small or narrow roads. That are going slowly anyway. Take up the space of a car so that cannot pass you. Believe me they will squeeze you out and try to get past when there is no room. So make up their minds for them keep out

Hi-Viz is ineffective at night. Under sodium street lighting it just looks washed out as normal clothing does.

And so many people wear it that it's now a form of urban camouflage.

Not only that, hi-viz does look silly.

Oh yes.. it's also doth offend mine eye.

Phill057

Yes the the yellow of the jacket may loose its effect under either hi pressure or low pressure sodium lighting. But the reflective strips com into their own then. As for not like the yellow well the way I see it it would be a bit hard for the car driver saying that he did not really see us me lying there in yellow and reflective strips with flashing LEDs all round the place. I would be hard to argue to a police officer or the courts......

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Just read the download and thought it was an excellent document that any aspiring commuter should read. I hope that it gets out to the wider cycling population because it really does cover the stuff that someone new to road riding in traffic may well not know. Also a good reminder and refresher for more experienced riders. It should be required reading for all those taking up the cycle to work schemes.
Well done to all those involved.

jhuk

Regular
Too much of a newbie to PM yet :rolleyes:

Just tried Dropbox again - no joy. Do I need to register for it to download properly?

jhuk

Regular
PM me your email address and I'll try. Its a huge file though...hence the dropbox.

Thanks for the email - came through fine and it's an awesome guide. The section on cycle lanes was an eye opener - when started cycling again, I definitely viewed them as a positive but having got a bit of confidence I would have to agree with your guide - they can sometimes expose you to more danger and prevent you from adopting the safest road position

Thanks again

Top Bottom