The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have read some interesting comments about cycle lanes on this site and as a commuter in London i do see some of the perils of them.

I am about to make pose a scenario and please don't shout at me as its only something i have become aware of recently its not my opinion. This is a precis of the events and i do not know the details of the insurance companies involved.

I have heard of a recent accident in London from a friend whereby the cyclist was cycling within the traffic when there was a cycle path in play. The cyclist got knocked off by a car and both insurance companies are questioning why the cyclist was not on the cycle path.

Im sure we can see what's coming next.

Apparently the cyclist was informed that if a cycle path is in play then for safetys sake it should be used and an argument is in progress as to whether the motorists own insurance company will indeed pay up as they say the cyclist should have been on the cycle path.

Once again i am repeating this scenario NOT giving an opinion.

What do you think ?

Doest sound right to me, or at least it doesn't sound complete. I suspect there is more to the story such as the cyclist showing wilful neglect for safety in some additional way or perhaps the driver doing the same.

That said, I assume insurance companies will use any old shoot to avoid paying up.

Pato Donald

I just moved to a large urban area in the USA and there's a lot of great tips on how to handle city traffic (except you have to reverse all the rights and lefts :tongue:). Thanks for posting!

WheresTheEngine

I can't seem to get the download in post 1 - apologies if there is an explanation/new link in a later post but I can't read through 10 pages of posts to find it (I've read a few pages in) :blush:

Any ideas of how to get it?

crazyjoe101

Thank you for this excellent guide, I knew a lot of this but by all means not all of it, it's really helped to clarify certain things. I've got a couple of friends who I've managed to get onto the road and I'm sending them this to read so they know it's not just me talking nonsense as usual.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I can't seem to get the download in post 1 - apologies if there is an explanation/new link in a later post but I can't read through 10 pages of posts to find it (I've read a few pages in) :blush:

Any ideas of how to get it?
Hi, Nope the link works just fine.

Perhaps try a different browser, I just tested it with Chrome and it downloaded pretty quickly. PM me if you still have trouble...although you may need to make a few more posts before you can message other users.

StuUngar

This a very good and comprehensive guide, well done the person or people who collated it!

A note about accidents that I think people should consider. No matter how much in shock you are always get any witnesses contact details. If you aren't carrying your phone to take pics, carry a pen and paper in your bag.

If involved with a car it is a legal requirement for them to give you their full name and address and insurance details AT THE SCENE!

If disputed or no independent witnesses or driver is getting shirty get the police involved.

Unfortunately I know this from experience. As I was in shock and it was at a busy 4 way traffic light in morning rush hour, The 2 witnesses that came over and saw what happened - I told them I was fine! How stupid.

The car driver was Polish, in a Polish car and all he gave me was his "name" mobile phone number and the registration of his car. Which is all basically useless and I had no way of knowing if any of it was true!

It was only through reporting to the police that anything got done even though he said he would sort out the damage. I seriously doubt he would have hung around given for the fact he knew a LOT of people see what he had done.

Learn from my mistakes - I have.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This a very good and comprehensive guide, well done the person or people who collated it!

Thankyou.

Thanks for the positive comments.

If anyone is interested in the aesthetic, I have a new "revamped" copy available. its set out in a more "magazine" layout with more graphics and images. It also allows a single page for each topic so is a little easier to navigate. I created this new rwevamped doc to allow for distribution outside of the cc site (to strangers who will need some impressing!).

problem is, the resulting doc is far too large to upload...bummer.

if you do however want a copy, send me a PM and I'll email it to an address of your choice.

regards

Johnny

Cant you upload it to a different website, server, what ever. Link to it there?

Top Bottom