The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks for the positive comments.

If anyone is interested in the aesthetic, I have a new "revamped" copy available. its set out in a more "magazine" layout with more graphics and images. It also allows a single page for each topic so is a little easier to navigate. I created this new rwevamped doc to allow for distribution outside of the cc site (to strangers who will need some impressing!).

problem is, the resulting doc is far too large to upload...bummer.

if you do however want a copy, send me a PM and I'll email it to an address of your choice.

regards

Johnny

Martok

Klingon on a bike
I don't know how you created the PDF first...?

If it was done using Microsoft Word first, have you tried compressing the images from the images toolbar? From the Picture toolbar, there's an option to compress pictures and then choose to do it for all in the document. It's surprising how much space it can save, for one person I showed it to it reduced the file size from 33Mb to 1.5Mb!

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I don't know how you created the PDF first...?

If it was done using Microsoft Word first, have you tried compressing the images from the images toolbar? From the Picture toolbar, there's an option to compress pictures and then choose to do it for all in the document. It's surprising how much space it can save, for one person I showed it to it reduced the file size from 33Mb to 1.5Mb!

Created in MS pub (with artwork already reduced in Photoshop to the lowest file size without crapping up the images too much).

is this option something that is resident to MS pub would you know, as it sounds interesting if it is?

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Yes it is in Publisher too. Click on a picture in Publisher and the picture toolbar will appear. There's a compress pictures button. Click on it and I'd suggest you choose the options "Desktop printing" and "Apply to all pictures in this publication". Hopefully that will reduce the filesize before you export it to PDF.

You can try "Web" instead of "Desktop printing" to see if that's any better size-wise, though it'll likely make the pictures only good enough for viewing on-screen rather than printing.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yes it is in Publisher too. Click on a picture in Publisher and the picture toolbar will appear. There's a compress pictures button. Click on it and I'd suggest you choose the options "Desktop printing" and "Apply to all pictures in this publication". Hopefully that will reduce the filesize before you export it to PDF.

You can try "Web" instead of "Desktop printing" to see if that's any better size-wise, though it'll likely make the pictures only good enough for viewing on-screen rather than printing.

oooo, thanks Martok, Ill try that in the morning...fingers crossed

pshore

Jonny,

I've just read the filtering section and it captures all the points well.

One thing I would say is that whenever I read about a filtering accident it is almost always one of two types:

1. Car stopped to let other car in/out of side road.
2. Car did a u-turn without looking.

I don't think you can stress those enough.
The next most risky danger points from experience are:

3. Getting caught between traffic when it starts moving.
4. Lane changing without looking properly.

All can be avoid using the tips in your PDF.

Phil.

robin IX

Hi Jonny
In the section on speed you said there is no legally quoted speed limit.
I was under the impression that the speed limit for the road was applicable to bicycles too, as you are a road user who should be following the highway code.
Ergo in a 10 or 20 mph zone cyclists should stay at or below these limits?
Am I wrong about this?

Robin

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi Jonny
In the section on speed you said there is no legally quoted speed limit.
I was under the impression that the speed limit for the road was applicable to bicycles too, as you are a road user who should be following the highway code.
Ergo in a 10 or 20 mph zone cyclists should stay at or below these limits?
Am I wrong about this?

Robin

Hi Robin.

Its a fair question that I'll do my best to answer (without sending you to sleep!)

So, d
o speed limits apply to bicycles?

Short Answer
Mostly no, though there are some places (like Royal Parks) where bye-laws might impose speed limits on cyclists.

Long Answer...

Normal Roads
On 'normal' public highways, the general speed limits (whatever they are) do not apply to bicycles.

Note that the Highway Code rule 124 states speed limits are in the table, but the table has no row that applies to bicycles. There is a bit of a fault in that a footnote to the table does indeed state that "The 30 mph limit usually applies to all traffic" (my emphasis), but that appears to be a wrong statement (there are a few such careless statements in the Highway Code).

The Highway code references RTRA, which is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, sections 81, 86, 89 & schedule 6. In fact, these sections all fall within Part VI of the act, which is entirely about speed limits.

The first thing to note is that the Highway Code blanket statement is wrong - section 81 is quite explicit that "It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour" (my emphasis).

Further reading reveals that throughout this act, the speed limits discussed apply to motor vehicles and their drivers, not to cyclists. Note, for example section 89: "A person who drives a motor vehicle on a road at a speed exceeding a limit imposed by or under any enactment to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence."
Theoretical possibilities

It should be noted that it seems there is a theoretical possibility for a speed limit to be imposed on cyclists. Although the 'standard' way for speed limits is via the RTRA noted above, TSRGD 2002, The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 allows for speed limits to be imposed by local acts (here).

In principle, a local act might create a speed limit that applied to cyclists. However, it's very unlikely, and I've never seen a reference to one that does. Further, the act would have to define the offence and penalty - it could not simply refer back to the RTRA, because the offence created in that act (section 89, quoted above) explicitly applies to the drivers of motor vehicles. So, it would be possible for a road to have a speed limit created by local act that applied to cyclists, but it's very unlikely, and even if it did, it is further unlikely that there would be an offence committed in breaking the speed limit.
Official Advice

Another interesting snippet arises from a Department for Transport consultation document that never turned into anything other than a consultation. The 2004 Local Transport Notes on Walking and Cycling document had an annex D Code of Conduct Notice for Cyclists which recommends "As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road."
But...
However, despite the fact that speed limits do not apply to bicycles, you can be prosecuted simply for cycling too fast - under the charge of 'cycling furiously'. You can also be prosecuted for riding dangerously o carelessly.

So, in short...best to allow common sense to prevail. Celebrate like bonkers if you ever sustain more than 30mph and if a road dictates a 20mph restriction( I've not seen any 10mph ones myself) there is probably good reason, so I would always pay attention to that restriction.

Good luck

Jonny

Tynan

Veteran
surely bikes have to ride at a speed and in a manner safe for the conditions and surroundings?

as for MS Pub, I quote what a fellow publishing professional once said, 'just good enough for a badly worded ransom note'

jay clock

Massive member
Just wanted to say thanks!! All blindingly obvious of course to old timers like me but my daughter is a student in London, currently been cycling the last two weeks from Bethnal Green to Oxford Circus, so this a superb document for her!

Cheers!

"Once settled, do not try to immediately stand up (your instinct will
be to do so and try to carry on, as pride and our survival instinct
cuts in) try to stay still and clam whilst you asses if any injury has
occurred"

Asses is american....Arses is british. Please correct!

Xuk

"never ride up the left of vehicles at junctions"

eh? why not?

i can understand the HGV argument as described in the document (somewhat) but does this apply to ALL vehicles?

saves your ass the time the idiot turns left without checking (way to common )and turns you into red bean soup.

Top Bottom