The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Top 20 tips for those considering a commute through the city.

If you are new to cycling, or have any concerns about riding through a city, then this guide is perfect for you.

The link below will download our guide representing a compilation of ideas and thoughts from the members of the Cycle Chat community, to help keep you prepared and safe.

It will be regularly updated to accommodate changes in topic and riding practice.

Just click the link below to begin the download, its a pretty large document so, depending on your 'tinternet speed it may take a few seconds to complete.

Good Luck

Jonny

DROP-BOX LINK
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0c2wvp93sr2h4e/guide.pdf
[Latest update: 3 Aug, 2012]

I've not had time to read it all yet JJ but it looks the part, well done.

thomas

the tank engine
Not read it all, but what I did read looks great ;)

Perhaps a mention of different road types. For instance, if I was on a duel carriageway I would always hold primary in the inside lane to encourage motorists to overtake in the outside lane, and to stop people squeezing past in the inside lane (while undertaking someone in the outside lane).

Some roads, especially in London seem to have up to 5 lanes going the same way, which even I would find quite daunting so maybe something on how best to go about it. Probably, know where you're going and allow plenty of time to get in the lane.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Jonny, v good work.

Could you punctuate this para with a full stop (at the moment it gives terrible advice!):

If there is oncoming traffic either don't filter and wait in line or filter closer to the same direction traffic in your lane (but more circumspectly), or consider undertaking high-sided vehicles - be extra careful if you're going to filter right beyond them as not only can you not see ahead of them, but they might not see you and can kill you at crawling pace...Better to stay behind them in a position that they can see you in their mirrors - do not go on their left.

To:

or consider undertaking. High-sided vehicles - be extra careful if you're going to filter right beyond...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
Jonny, v good work.

Could you punctuate this para with a full stop (at the moment it gives terrible advice!):

If there is oncoming traffic either don't filter and wait in line or filter closer to the same direction traffic in your lane (but more circumspectly), or consider undertaking high-sided vehicles - be extra careful if you're going to filter right beyond them as not only can you not see ahead of them, but they might not see you and can kill you at crawling pace...Better to stay behind them in a position that they can see you in their mirrors - do not go on their left.

To:

or consider undertaking. High-sided vehicles - be extra careful if you're going to filter right beyond...

the power of a full stop!!!

well spotted, I'll do it now and update

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Looks great, had a quick shuffty through it. Not fully read it yet though.

One comment I noticed upon quickly glancing through it:

In the bike category section

a sort of relaxed road bike, will do
everything that the bikes above will and
a hole lot more, if a tad slower. Comes
with holes and screws for lots of panniers
and racks in case you fancy going
to Bolivia. A comfortable ride. If it was a
car it would be a Volvo Estate.
this hole should be whole

I will read in more detail later, and I expect I'll enjoy it ;)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
Jonny, v good work.

To:

Done

Rob3rt said:
Looks great, had a quick shuffty through it. Not fully read it yet though.

One comment I noticed upon quickly glancing through it:

In the bike category section

this hole should be whole, also missing a do in this sentenceI will read in more detail later, and I expect I'll enjoy it ;)

Good spot Rob3rt, I'll change this in a little while as I am sure there will be more typos to adjust.

I wanted to change origamists bit swiftly as it was in danger of mis-interpreted by new riders

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My do comment is incorrect, the sentence doesnt need a do, that was my mistake in reading it, hence I edited out of my post, but you got in there fast ;)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Great stuff. A couple of minor typos for you to fix (changes in bold):

p. 5
5. Roundabouts – How best to “control” and busy roundabout.

Should be

5. Roundabouts – How best to “control” a busy roundabout.

p. 9
Take NOTHING they say for granted, in front of a crowd and without out the time to talk to friends and partners

Should be

Take NOTHING they say for granted: in front of a crowd and without
the time to talk to friends and partners

p. 15

TOURER - a sort of relaxed road bike, will do
a hole lot more

Should be

TOURER - a sort of relaxed road bike, will do
a whole lot more

p. 15: big space between "one and a half times the" and "distance of your ride"

All in all, great stuff, really useful.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
benb said:
Great stuff. A couple of minor typos for you to fix (changes in bold):

p. 5

Should be

p. 9

Should be

p. 15

Should be

p. 15: big space between "one and a half times the" and "distance of your ride"

All in all, great stuff, really useful.

Thanks Benb...all noted and will be adjusted on the "typo sweep up" later today.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
jonny jeez said:
Thanks Benb...all noted and will be adjusted on the "typo sweep up" later today.

No prob. Maybe I missed my calling - I should have been a proofreader.

karan733

This is a really good piece and Ill download it and share it with newbie riders (gf, her sisters). A few typos and general cleaning, but its nearly ready. I did notice an incomplete section during the first read, but when I just downloaded it to find out page numbers, its already been corrected!

Good work :laugh:

Top Bottom