The estate agents are coming round..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frog

Make the smarmy twat a cup of tea. It doesn't cost anything to be nice to people.

Also, he might not be expecting that and may let something slip which could be to your advantage. It's easier to start off a relationship being 'nice' and turn 'assertive' later than it is to do it the other way around.

Good Luck :blush:

Mr Phoebus

frog said:
Make the smarmy twat a cup of tea. It doesn't cost anything to be nice to people.

Also, he might not be expecting that and may let something slip which could be to your advantage.

I find sodium pentothal much easier.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't let him try to undervalue the house in order to achieve a quick sale. One tried this with me and I ended up selling for £20,000 more than he suggested. he completely failed to understand the kind of buyer who might want the house, which was exactly the kind of buyer who bought it.

Slowgrind

Mate of mine in Southport had his house valued about two months ago. He told the estate agent to put £10,000 on the price for starters, thinking that it would be easier to lower the price if it didn`t sell straight off. Within a week he had a cash buyer who didn`t want to move in for a couple of months leaving him time to sort out his own place.

User76 said:
in a few minutes to put our house on the market.

Should I go for the money or be realistic?
Should I go sole or joint agency?
Should I believe anything he says?
Should I make the smarmy twat a cup of tea?

Be realistic over the price and go for a sole agency. With a joint agency, each relies on the other to do the work - such as it is in estate agency.

U

User482

I sold my house last year. I had three agents round, with a 20k difference between top and bottom valuation (range - 155 - 175k). 2 of the agents gave me the hard sell and were utterly odious. The third agent looked round, told us what it would fetch, said not to take offers, and would wait for our call - no hard sell. He also had the lowest commission. We gave him the job and the house sold for full asking in 3 days.

Moral of the story - work your way through the local agents until you find one you don't want to punch.

Rigid Raider said:
Don't let him try to undervalue the house in order to achieve a quick sale. One tried this with me and I ended up selling for £20,000 more than he suggested. he completely failed to understand the kind of buyer who might want the house, which was exactly the kind of buyer who bought it.

What he said.

onb

Guru
Get more than one agent in ,its a fine line between asking too much and not getting any interest ,and selling quickly for too little ,find out what others in the area are selling for and indeed if they are selling .The market is very slow at the moment so you need to make sure that your agent is procatve getting your details out to their mail list clients and getting feed back from all the people who come to view .I believe there is a website somwhere that you can research prices on .

fuzzy29

Get at least 3 different agents round and ask for their valuation and fees. Then go with the one you fell most comfortable with. Tell them what the lowest fee you have been quoted (minus a few pounds) and tell him it's his listing if he can do better. They are always hungry for new properties so use that to your advantage. Also, bear in mind, that people looking for a new property will go to every agent in town, so when they say they have 10 buyers looking for your type of house, it is usually complete bulls**t.

The most important person in the sale of any property is your solicitor. Make sure you get one that deals with conveyancing and is local.

Top Bottom