The excitement and anticipation of a new frame!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlton88

Guru
I've had a Time Edge carbon fibre frame for 11 years now and have had enough of it. I also own a Carlton 501 which I bought new in 1988 and even though the carbon bike easily out performs it in every respect I still favour the steel of the Carlton. The carbon IMO seems to be devoid of any soul or character and I've never really gelled with it despite it still being in pristine condition. I've no idea why I've kept it this long. I recently replaced the cleat pedals with clips and straps because they're kinder to a recent foot injury and now have no desire to return to cleats. It simply has to go.

Time Edge Carbon
DSC_0013.JPG

Carlton 501
DSC01990.jpg

So, apart from a couple of bits the rest will be transferred to this. The Light Blue , Kings Frameset, Reynolds 853. Wow, what a beauty!
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 18.38.19.png

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I wouldn't kick it out of the shed ^_^

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I want one of those Kings, have you tried a larger volume tyre a 25 will transform the ride

Ajax Bay

Guru
Looks like a lovely frame and transferring the groupset (plus) from your unloved carbon ride will mean you have to choose between this and the Carlton each time.
have you tried a larger volume tyre a 25 will transform the ride
Larger than what? Does anyone still use 23s? How much will using 25s 'transform' the ride? What metric will you use?
"There’s room for up to 28mm tyres if you feel a need to add more comfort" says this review.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Its just down to preference for a particular feel. It either suits you or it don't, and the material probably has little to do with it.

MiK1138

Veteran
I've had a Time Edge carbon fibre frame for 11 years now and have had enough of it. I also own a Carlton 501 which I bought new in 1988 and even though the carbon bike easily out performs it in every respect I still favour the steel of the Carlton. The carbon IMO seems to be devoid of any soul or character and I've never really gelled with it despite it still being in pristine condition. I've no idea why I've kept it this long. I recently replaced the cleat pedals with clips and straps because they're kinder to a recent foot injury and now have no desire to return to cleats. It simply has to go.

Time Edge Carbon
View attachment 369393

Carlton 501
View attachment 369394

So, apart from a couple of bits the rest will be transferred to this. The Light Blue , Kings Frameset, Reynolds 853. Wow, what a beauty!
View attachment 369395
That King sure is pretty

adscrim

Veteran
I still use 23s, not convinced that the extra 2mm on 25s will make that much difference comfort wise to my daily commute.

By the way that King's Frameset is a thing of beauty.

I found that moving to 25s made a significant and immediately noticeable difference in perceived comfort over rough tarmac. It's not just the additional rubber as you can also run at slightly lower pressures for the same pinch risk.

I won't even consider 23s now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I found that moving to 25s made a significant and immediately noticeable difference in perceived comfort over rough tarmac. It's not just the additional rubber as you can also run at slightly lower pressures for the same pinch risk.

I won't even consider 23s now.
I've moved on to 28c and they're even nicer :-)

Top Bottom