England : Berkshire The Exurbia Boozer ride ..... 4th FEB 2017, Final details and roll call....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It was great. Sunny and warm and full of friends and booze. We were over optimistic about the amount of boozers we could fit in and still make it back before we turned into pumpkins, so we are saving some of them for another day, which with luck you will be able to make in person. It was a kill or cure ride for me - I've been off the bike for a fortnight with a post-lurgy chest infection I can't shake off. I was advised against riding by various non-cyclists. Anyway I reckon it did me good, even if I did have to get off and walk on one of the hills that Foodie had promised wasn't going to be there.
Like the good stuff, obvs, not the lurgy or the walks.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Like the good stuff, obvs, not the lurgy or the walks.
Turns out it's just as well I got used to being back on the bike, as today's trains terminate at Port Talbot...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
IMG_20170204_142633169.jpg

A light snack, for lunch (Flower Pot Hotel, Aston). Very nice it was too...

On account of the rail line in Portsmouth being closed for engineering work, I had a choice of riding six miles to a train, riding seven miles to another train, or riding 58 miles. Did think about riding up & getting the century done, but opted not to get on the road at six. Sped quite nicely to Havant for the first train, tedious wait at Guildford, then an equally tedious train to Reading. Where I found the rear tyre had somehow deflated despite being perfectly OK that morning. Mark, A and Claud helped sort the only mechanical of the day before we all pootled off.

I think this ride may have set a new record for lack of speed. Really more a case of sitting in pubs with a bit of riding in between, and none the worse for it. The pie was a personal highlight, may need to make a return visit. Progress remained stately, and final pub (Three Guineas at Reading station) wasn't reached until nearly seven. A recovery burger (excellent) then another epic train journey (nearly two hours) before a quick seven miles from Fareham- A27 all the way- home, back at 1130. Long old day, but, aptly, Fab.....Thanks one and all. Litespeed has been de-grotted this morning...

Last edited:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
[QUOTE 4668612, member: 21629"]we managed to lose Marknotgeorge. :thumbsdown: He made a wrong turn.[/QUOTE]
Ahem. I didn't make a wrong turn. After getting separated from the main group by my slowness (16kg of Teutonic aluminium and lotsa kilos of me != hiilclimber) and a nobber in a Rav4, I came to a junction with two turns, from where I couldn't see @Fab Foodie's spaceman jacket, nor @User21629's battery powered Arcturus. So I stopped, to be rescued by Abingdon Phil, and phoned by @theclaud.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 4669097, member: 21629"]Right guys.

I ask you do not take any pictures of me. Please. And do not post them if you have any. Since this moment.[/QUOTE]
OK - sorry. I will remove the one from the Beer thread if you want? Although I think it's a nice photo.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 4668680, member: 21629"]@Fab Foodie for your curiosity.

My bike weights a bit more than 1 stone (1.13) without any cargo.[/QUOTE]
Blimey!

StuAff

Actually fairly typical weight for a carbon road bike these days- my Viner's there or thereabouts, it'll be a bit heavier on account of Athena group rather than DuraAce. A lot of bikes are well under the UCI weight limit these days, even without spending really big money...

StuAff

Well absolutely!

Especially as we have unfinished business pubwise. I think something in the summer could be good. Any summer babies out there with birthdays that need celebrating?
August in my case. Would suggest starting a bit earlier. Velolife at Warren Row would be well worth a visit, the windmill film star of The Eagle Has Landed at Mapledurham, and anyone suggesting a pie at Sweeney & Todd to finish is unlikely to get short thrift from me....

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
August in my case. Would suggest starting a bit earlier. Velolife at Warren Row would be well worth a visit, the windmill film star of The Eagle Has Landed at Mapledurham, and anyone suggesting a pie at Sweeney & Todd to finish is unlikely to get short thrift from me....

Good call on all counts.

robjh

Legendary Member
Well what a weekend that was. Many thanks to the fabulous @Fab Foodie for organising and guiding, and not forgetting the inimitable @theclaud for her part in the inspiration for this memorable and unusual ride. Others have already described the day in detail, I'll simply add how much I enjoyed it.
I'm back home in Cambridgeshire now, after 92 miles cycling** from Reading today. I started off with more of that delightful Chiltern scenery, but then rode another 60 miles in wintery mist - the weather gods certainly smiled on us yesterday.
Happy birthday for today FF, and here's to the next time.

** if anyone cares, the ride is described here

Top Bottom