The fallacy of "servicing" a bicycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I just can't understand how anyone who claims to be a cyclist (Rather than a just bike user) can take zero interest in how his or her bicycle works at even the most basic level. I'm not talking about fitting headsets or gear systems, just the most simple of adjustments to keep things running sweet and safe.

It's not the way I'd like to do my cycling, but isn't the key just to enjoy it, however that comes about?

If our hypothetical cyclist/bike rider (delete to preference) just wants to ride & have someone else take care of the oily stuff, WHATEVER, as the young people say.

PpPete

Legendary Member
For once I find myself in agreement with Smokin' (and the OP)
About the only thing I go to LBS for is removing and refitting crown races, or chasing out BB threads. (both of which need v. expensive tools) I can do (and have done) pretty much everything else.

Still, as JTM says, each to their own.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Quite right. Similarly, if you can't write a simple piece of javascript, you have no business using a computer; if you can't enrich the fuel mixture, you should be ashamed to fly on a plane; and if you can't even do the simplest chromakey cutout, you shouldn't be watching movies.
Not the same at all - think about it. Don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't ride a bike if you can't fix a puncture, just that it doesn't require great skill or knowledge, or much precious money earning time, to perform simple maintenanceand repairs.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
But if you can't adjust a cable or change an inner tube you should be ashamed to admit it.
But then how could you ever face asking some one to show you how to do it? I've got any number of things in my house that if they go wrong I haven't got a clue how to fix. Somewhere there is likely a plumbers forum on which they are debating the stupid idiot who didn't know how to fix a ball cock or even which one to order or where to get it from. They are possibly saying that he should be ashamed not to know how to fix the most basic and necessary piece of equipment in the house.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't entirely agree with saying that if you can't fix a puncture you shouldn't ride, for some with limited mobility/strength they may be unable to mend a puncture but they can still cycle, it just requires a backup plan, even if it was just being able to get a passer by to do it or phone a taxi.

I want as few barriers as possible to stop people from getting on a bike.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't entirely agree with that, for some with limited mobility/strength they may be unable to mend a puncture but they can still cycle, it just requires a backup plan, even if it was just being able to get a passer by to do it or phone a taxi.
- of course! Interestingly I was skimming through the Bikeability course content the other day, and IIRC simple repairs and maintenance are covered.

swansonj

Guru
For once I find myself in agreement with Smokin' (and the OP)
Still, as JTM says, each to their own.
I think, when you say "each to their own", you are in fact differentiating yourself from others on this thread. The view is being put that if you choose not to acquire the knowledge to do your own maintenance, you are not a proper cyclist, and you should be ashamed; that is hardly "each to their own".

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Quite right. Similarly, if you can't write a simple piece of javascript, you have no business using a computer; if you can't enrich the fuel mixture, you should be ashamed to fly on a plane; and if you can't even do the simplest chromakey cutout, you shouldn't be watching movies.
Different thing entirely, those are things that require a degree of technical knowledge. If someone finds stripdowns of the bike, such as a bottom bracket or headset too daunting I fully understand and would never criticise them for it (My mother showed me how to take a bottom bracket apart and replace the bearings). But I cannot comprehend how every cyclist isn't fully aware of how to adjust the slack on a brake cable (An important safety issue) or a gear cable, two jobs that take seconds and require no manual skills at all. Or how they'd risk leaving themselves stranded because they don't know how to change an inner tube or how to tighten a bolt.

And as I've said before, most of these people also drive. Brake fluid, oil and water levels? Tyre pressures? The thought of zooming round the M25 with people whose bonnet hasn't been opened since the last MoT...

swansonj

Guru
But I cannot comprehend how every cyclist isn't fully aware of how to adjust the slack on a brake cable (An important safety issue) or a gear cable, two jobs that take seconds and require no manual skills at all. Or how they'd risk leaving themselves stranded because they don't know how to change an inner tube or how to tighten a bolt.
Yup, that, I think,is the problem in a nutshell...

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Different thing entirely, those are things that require a degree of technical knowledge. If someone finds stripdowns of the bike, such as a bottom bracket or headset too daunting I fully understand and would never criticise them for it (My mother showed me how to take a bottom bracket apart and replace the bearings). But I cannot comprehend how every cyclist isn't fully aware of how to adjust the slack on a brake cable (An important safety issue) or a gear cable, two jobs that take seconds and require no manual skills at all. Or how they'd risk leaving themselves stranded because they don't know how to change an inner tube or how to tighten a bolt.

And as I've said before, most of these people also drive. Brake fluid, oil and water levels? Tyre pressures? The thought of zooming round the M25 with people whose bonnet hasn't been opened since the last MoT...
What about toilets then? They're not massively complicated but a lot of people wouldn't know how to do a minor fix.

Top Bottom