The fine line between motivation and being a tyrant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User76022

If it's not fun (and it sounds like it's not if he is bonking), your friend will crack physically or mentally at some point.

To be blunt, you are risking your friend having a heart attack or deciding that enough is enough and cycling is not for him. None of us can make the call how and when that will happen.
Trouble is he always insists that I lead and set the pace, exactly because it motivates him to work harder. He must actually enjoy it because sometimes if I try to skip a ride because I'm tired, he turns up at my house all geared to go. This is the difficult bit for me. I'm all for helping him to push himself to get fit and to enjoy his rides, but I don't want to push too hard and put him, or myself for that matter, at risk.

OP
OP
U

User76022

Actually no it is not and is recommended in a number of situations. Side by side is an often pleasant way to enjoy your ride and will motivate you as you will not be trying to keep up with your mate.
If you ride side by side on the road, sooner or later you will get a car driver or van driver behind you that takes it upon themselves to teach you their interpretation of the rules. That's when you and your riding buddy need to do some fancy coordinated manoeuvres to avoid both being knocked off.

Drago

Legendary Member
Side by side is a no-no under any circumstances on the road - if one rider falters the person next to them is deprived of the visual cues required to initiate avoiding action, and they'll get gathered off as well. Plenty of peloton crashes to demonstrate the mechanics of that one. Nevertheless, if you're positioned properly with respect to one another that's not a problem.

The much derided (by the ignorant and uninformed) 'half wheeling' is safer. The drill is the inside rider is forward, and the outside rider rearward, about 3-4 feet apart, depending on lane width and the state of the road surface closer to the edge. If the inside rider falters the outside rider has sufficient view of his chums machine that they will have the visual cues required to avoid trouble. If the outside rider falters then by virtue of being ahead and already 2/3 clear the inside rider is most likely to avoid trouble without having to take any action at all. The system is taught by both IPMBA and MIAS, and if some plum in a car decides to get fruity it makes you much, much less likely to gather up your chum and kiss tarmac than if you were riding parallel.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you ride side by side on the road, sooner or later you will get a car driver or van driver behind you that takes it upon themselves to teach you their interpretation of the rules. That's when you and your riding buddy need to do some fancy coordinated manoeuvres to avoid both being knocked off.

Nothing to do with side by side and just a car driver being a knobber same as if they decide to teach single file cyclists a lesson as they are impatient as wish to pass when not safe to do so.

OP
OP
U

User76022

Nothing to do with side by side and just a car driver being a knobber same as if they decide to teach single file cyclists a lesson as they are impatient as wish to pass when not safe to do so.
The key difference being that if you're single file and someone cuts you off, you only have yourself to think about as you take evasive action. If there is also someone to your left, you have to choose in a split second between trying to get round them or cutting them off and hoping they also make the right split second decision.

keithmac

Guru
Can't outrun a bad diet..

CXRAndy

Guru
Riding side by side is the safest way to ride, it creates a rolling road block. Drivers have to slow, plan an overtake. You will always get dickheads on the road and no matter where you position yourself they will do an punishment pass. Most drivers thankfully arent like that, and are ignorant and just need reminding by having you block the road. I ride central on all roads and have much less hassle from stupid drivers

OP
OP
U

User76022

Riding side by side is the safest way to ride, it creates a rolling road block. Drivers have to slow, plan an overtake.

That's a good theory at least.

. I ride central on all roads and have much less hassle from stupid drivers

I largely do the same. In fact that's what I was taught even best part of 40 years ago when I did cycling proficiency (does that even still exist?)

This not only asserts your right to use the road and reminds others behind you of that right, but it also means you have somewhere to swerve to if someone cuts you off. That's not the case of there is another bike next to you.

OP
OP
U

User76022

Riding a bike never made me slim. Could the OP just ride slower?
I could. But then I'd have to disappoint my mate, who likes to see the ride stats afterwards, and gets genuinely almost childishly excited if we hit a new overall average speed or new fastest mile.

You're right. Cycling itself won't make anyone slimmer. But the increased calorie expenditure combined with reduced calories consume will. And the increased muscle mass will increase metabolic base rate which means even at rest, the more muscly you are, the more calories you can get away with consuming.

My mate is doing well. His weight is shifting at a healthy rate. His fitness is improving too. All while he really enjoys the rides out. But I think maybe you and others are right. Maybe I need to ease off a bit. At least while we're in the dark evenings. Come spring time and more daylight hours, we can increase the duration of our rides again, and achieve similar distances but at a steadier pace.

Top Bottom