The first signs that you're getting there with fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cruising at speed.
Not having to say "Shut up legs"
Big ring riding.
Seeking out hills.
Riding home the long way and then finding you've plenty time to add a few more km.
Finding it really quite difficult to hit max HR.
Having hit a high, or max., HR noticing how quickly is settles again.
Having conversations with riding companions who are gasping for breath.
Dropping folk for dead on the climbs.

Won't last though....

(All this talk of reduced guts. Can't see it myself. I like beer, pies, and malt whisky, way to much to lose weight)

Overtaking someone on a road bike on the flat riding a heavy comuter bike with panniers.

Overtaking and staying ahead of a cyclist on a shared cycle path while out running.

OK, both these rely on the other party not actually trying :whistle:

Being able to run in zone 2 was the first sign for me. I used to jog and not be able to speak at all for ages. Being able to keep up with people comfortably on the bike who I used to kill myself trying to keep in sight is another good one. You have a draft bonus which makes it easier but that's a nice psychological boost.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
For me it was looking down and being able to see the saddle because my belly isn't totally in the way and being able to ride on the hoods without feeling the pull of gravity from said belly!

Last Sunday I felt a huge improvement, cruising at 18mph 15 miles into a ride without even feeling it.

#gettingthere

Aiden_23

When you stop doing that lunge foward with your Groin onto the head tube to stretch your back. When you stop making little bitch noises and wimpering on hills because you are hanging out!!!!! I still do both of these :banghead:cant wait to stop them though!!!!!

tyred

Legendary Member
I had upped the mileage in recent years but had actually put on a little weight and felt I had made zero progress on fitness until it dawned on me I regularly ride effortlessly at 20ish mph on the flat on a 63" fixed gear which is in excess of 100rpm cadence.:becool:

Top Bottom