The flattest route through Devon and Cornwall ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Having done LEJOG , and doing JOGLE next summer can anyone recommend the flattest route from Surton Cross to Lands End please... Mileage is not an issue just the flattest, easiest route ..... please ... ^_^
We .. ok I .... struggled heading north last year on the LEJOG ...:laugh:

Where is Surton Cross pls? Doesn't come up in google maps, for instance.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
The flattest route from Exeter I’ve done is up over longdown turn left at the bottom along the Teign valley to chudleigh Knighton .
Go along cycle path along A38 to Ashburton , Buckfastleigh and Ivybride where you cross over towards Ermington via Brixton to Plymouth and catch the ferry to Torpoint.
Follow the route to Looe then onto Fowey catching the Ferry .
Climb out of Fowey towards St Austell then onto Truro ,Penzance ,Lands End .
A rough sketch I’m afraid but I know how to cycle it better than I can explain it .
Still not flat but the flatest we’ve found from these parts .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The flattest route from Exeter [...]
The OP isn't starting from Exeter - but using cycle.travel from Sourton to Land's End with via points at Torpoint, Looe and Trengwainton Gardens (it picks Fowey itself from that) results in 2600m climbing and max 13% (from Exeter as recommended would be 3100m), so I think it's not as flat as the one based on the Wimps route (from Exeter would be 2600m max 9%, or a longer 3100m max 7%).

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
The OP isn't starting from Exeter - but using cycle.travel from Sourton to Land's End with via points at Torpoint, Looe and Trengwainton Gardens (it picks Fowey itself from that) results in 2600m climbing and max 13% (from Exeter as recommended would be 3100m), so I think it's not as flat as the one based on the Wimps route (from Exeter would be 2600m max 9%, or a longer 3100m max 7%).

The reality check is that we WIMPS may have planned the flattest route ... northbound ! ... But southbound ? .... A couple of the WIMPS (me included) would happily do a JOGLE that was actually a JOGTT .... (John o' Groats, Taunton Town) ... but a JOGTL would be on my radar (John O Groats Taunton / Launceston) ...:laugh:

robgul

Legendary Member
If you are doing JOGLE I wouldn't be too worried about the hills as you'll be "match fit" by the time you get down south . . . . that was my experience having ridden JOGLE first and then LEJOG five years later - the initial hills out of Cornwall were tougher than riding them the other way with 800+ miles under the wheels.

Rob

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
oops .... EX20 4HT ........ actually ..... Pump and Pedal Pub ....
At the start of this thread I had no idea where Sourton was. When you put a postcode up, I thought, ‘Ah Devon’. Buggerme, by lunchtime I’d driven through it in the Motorhome travelling from Tavistock to Dawlish!
Small world....

footloose crow

Über Member
My change to the suggested cycle.travel route would be to head up to the north coast from Illogan and take the B road that follows the cliffs to Hayle and then join the NCN route to Penzance as on the cycle.travel route. Good views, far better than trekking through the urban sprawl of Camborne -Pool-Redruth AND its flatter. Flat in places in fact.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
I regularly ride that route as our caravan is at Tolgus Mount. .... I'd be tempted to ride through Blackwater to Scorrier, then follow the coast to coast route down to Portreath ... I know there is a climb ... or walk .. out of Portreath but then your on the cliff roads and downhill to Penzance ... well mostly .....

Top Bottom