The flavour of flies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Like many of us, the flies took some excercise in the warm(ish) sunshine of Lincolnshire yesterday. Of all the countless flies that I have involuntarily tasted over the years, I cannot remember one with any real flavour. Yesterday however I was soundly smacked in the gob with the most evil, rank, foul and disgusting specimen. I know not what it had been paddling in, but it sure needed a bath! xx(

Maz

Guru
Did you spit or swallow?

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

they eat sh*t what do you think they should taste like ?
That's the point. In years, this is the only fly that has had any real flavour. Anyhow, by no means all flies eat sh....er dung. Fruit flies for instance eat, well fruit, greenflies eat plant sap, horse flies eat horses etc. Mind you, they are liberally spreading sh.. I mean dung on the fields at present. But then again, I have had a cow spray in my face in the past, but that fly didn't taste owt like that.

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

GA, I'll try and break this as gently as I can....think dog poo...

My Deepest Sympathy

I thought about that, but logic indicates a rather weak case:
a) I was riding along a very isolated lane were I rarely encounter another vehicle, let alone a dog;
b) there are no houses or farms within a couple of miles;
c) it didn't taste like doggy doo smells.

One thing though, how do you know what barkers' eggs taste like?

Mark_Robson

The thing that concerns me about eating flies is catching worms, Weird but true lol

longers

Legendary Member
The thing that concerns me about eating flies is catching worms, Weird but true lol

I've not worried about that before now, thanks Mark.

I saw a programme about fig trees and that almost put me off eating them because of the nematodes and the wasps.

bikeyboots

I can't believe I'm actually writing this.. but the fly could have been having a quick nibble of maybe a dead something? Rat, Rabbit, Pheasant, Badger, Stoat? etc etc :ohmy::tongue:

I've seen plenty of them round my way and your just up the road

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I can't believe I'm actually writing this.. but the fly could have been having a quick nibble of maybe a dead something? Rat, Rabbit, Pheasant, Badger, Stoat? etc etc :ohmy::tongue:

I've seen plenty of them round my way and your just up the road

Possible BB, but we lack details about the size of the fly and the volume of his/her stomach. BTW, I have never had any problems, to date, with oral ingestion of the little critters. Last year however, in an underpass beneath a Schiphol runway, I hit a swarm of flies. No idea what they had in their guts, but they made my eyes sting for two hours. Buy Oakleys. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom