The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Agreed. Though I've kind of thought that since he signed last season's worst keeper for £30m.
Tad unfair on the lad perhaps, it could have been an even bigger defecit if it weren't for some decent stops by him.

And I'll take your "worst keeper of last season" and raise you Claudio Bravo. He had a mare at every opportunity, and was only saved from lifelong embarrassment by the fact that opportunities on his goal were limited, and his team mates up front were busy knocking in more than he could concede. That's a luxury that Sunderland never had.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Great footballing day for merseyside today. :whistle:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Tad unfair on the lad perhaps, it could have been an even bigger defecit if it weren't for some decent stops by him.

And I'll take your "worst keeper of last season" and raise you Claudio Bravo. He had a mare at every opportunity, and was only saved from lifelong embarrassment by the fact that opportunities on his goal were limited, and his team mates up front were busy knocking in more than he could concede. That's a luxury that Sunderland never had.
Ha!

At least you haven't got Joe Hart.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Ha!

At least you haven't got Joe Hart.

True... I was sad to see him go as he'd become something of an institution at City, but in hindsight he probably wasn't good enough for a team with eyes on titles. I think he stagnated in the last couple of years and if anything, got worse. I'm happier with Ederson.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Looking at the EPL table as it stands only six clubs have a positive goal difference. That shows the gulf in class between the haves and the have nots.

Presume you are talking about money?

How can West Ham and Leicester be explained away? In the top 20 richest clubs in the world.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/richest-football-clubs/

I read the other week that Stoke are the 26th richest club in the world although they are not part of the linked data.

I know there is still a gulf in value but those teams are hardly under-funded.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Presume you are talking about money?

How can West Ham and Leicester be explained away? In the top 20 richest clubs in the world.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/richest-football-clubs/

I read the other week that Stoke are the 26th richest club in the world although they are not part of the linked data.

I know there is still a gulf in value but those teams are hardly under-funded.
Annual revenue is the key, that funds transfer fees and wages. West Ham's is $194 million, a long way off Man U's $765 million.

AndyRM

XOXO

Yeah, maybe I am being a bit harsh on him. When you've got a sieve for a defence what can you do?

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Everton... Dearie, dearie me.

That was absolutely appalling today. Arsenal weren't great, but they didn't have to be. But for Pickford, they might have notched up 8 or 9.

MarkF

Guru

View: https://youtu.be/29AHOcObwNQ

Kenny Miller in with the celebrations

I have watched Louis's career for a long time, he came to Bradford City as a teenager and a "sure thing" on loan from Stoke. We were garbage at the the time and Peter Taylor rarely used him, I used to watch him in the stiffs, at the time they played 10 mins walk from my house, his enthusiasm and effort stood out a mile. It must have been hard going to a basement club and then not getting any game time. Nuneaton, Wrexham, Motherwell, he can't stop scoring and his belief is incredible. At 26 he deserves big move and big wages.:okay:

MarkF

Guru
Lucky or what? I didn't really want to pay £65 for a game of football, not even in a top seat, but Betis seen to be going the way of a few other Spanish clubs that reside in "destination" cities, sell ST cheaply to locals and keep a few 1000 seats back to charge at top whack to tourists, it's hard to argue against and tbh if I hadn't gone I'd have probably spent £50 in bars watching it.........still....£65.

Estadio Benito Villamarin is similar to the Mestalla (Valencia), it just appears like that, you look up and suddenly a 60k stadium is there in a nondescript suburb, it's a 35/45 minute flat walk from the centre, fans were friendly and were so excited by KO that I am surprised many didn't die of heart attacks. As an aside, the anti Catalonia feeling is riding high in Andalucia and a loud version of Sylvia's "Viva Espana" was sung at regular intervals.:biggrin: I had the perfect view, first row second tier, bang on the half way line.

I can't begin to describe the game, it was totally bonkers, the support for Betis incredible, ok, at 0-4 it died a bit but the noise at 3-4 made my head hurt. 2 classic kits, more great goals in a game than I've ever seen before and everybody stayed to applaud off both teams. An all time La Liga classic and a bargain for my money.:okay:

Top Bottom