The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well, there were two disallowed goals- the Firmino one should have stood. Agreed that they should be making the scorelines a bit more flattering, but the three points are the main thing. Given the match schedule they've had to deal with, hardly surprising they're just getting the job done…

Utd could take five or six seasons to get that rebuilding done, even if they started getting the right people in now…and they haven't. The recruiting department were apparently rather annoyed at unfavourable comparisons with LFC (they looked at a lot of players before going for Wan-Bissaka), but when the higher-ups are so seemingly hopeless at spending in the right areas, their efforts are somewhat wasted. £850m spent in seven years. Huge wage bill. And now, effectively, a mid-table side. Danny Murphy picked his dream LFC & MU teams, plus subs, from the PL era in his column at the weekend. LFC: seven of the current team in the eleven (Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher and Suarez the exceptions). MU: De Gea and Rashford in the subs. Wouldn't argue with that. Until and unless they get someone like Mike Gordon at the top, getting the right people in, giving them the resources, and letting them get on with it, nothing will change.
I was reading that Utd have the 2nd highest wage bill in THE WORLD.
Watching them lose 2 nil at home to Burnley at the moment. £88M for Maguire WTF is Woodward doing.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I was reading that Utd have the 2nd highest wage bill in THE WORLD.
Watching them lose 2 nil at home to Burnley at the moment. £88M for Maguire WTF is Woodward doing.
We've got Moanchester Disunited glory hunte..fans, sorry, fans who will always tell you they want Liverpool to lose every game they play. They won't want Liverpool to lose tonight though, will they? That would make their team three points behind Wolves and six behind Chelsea for a coveted Champions League spot and not even sure of a place in the Thursday cup.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We've got Moanchester Disunited glory hunte..fans, sorry, fans who will always tell you they want Liverpool to lose every game they play. They won't want Liverpool to lose tonight though, will they? That would make their team three points behind Wolves and six behind Chelsea for a coveted Champions League spot and not even sure of a place in the Thursday cup.
Did you see/hear Rio Ferdinand ripping into them last night?? He was right on many points. They are in a mess and imo Ole has no chance of sorting it out.
I sadly watched the steady decline of LFC in the 80s/90s and its happening to Utd now.
It makes me quite sad smiley faced :rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Nice to see fellow League One side Tranmere beat Watford to end up with such a prestigious game to come on Sunday. I'm wondering if Man Utd provisionally booked a hotel in Hertfordshire,thinking they'd most likely be travelling down there.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Nice to see fellow League One side Tranmere beat Watford to end up with such a prestigious game to come on Sunday. I'm wondering if Man Utd provisionally booked a hotel in Hertfordshire,thinking they'd most likely be travelling down there.
It would be soooo good if Tranmere can win that.
I think Utd will field the strongest possible team as silverware is vital for them

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well, LFC keep marching on.
Wolves could well have drawn or even won that match but LFC managed to do what they do and grind out a win.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It would be soooo good if Tranmere can win that.
I think Utd will field the strongest possible team as silverware is vital for them
OGS will put out the strongest possible side as a defeat may see him down the road

Interesting the parallels between Man U now and Liverpool in the 90s. Liverpool had a period of unrivalled success which came to an end as they got left behind by more ambitious, forward-thinking clubs. They kept looking back to the good old days of the Boot Room as a way of replicating their success in the 70s and 80s. Bringing in great ex-players like Dalglish with the hope they could sprinkle their success fairy dust on the current team. It doesn't work and it took Liverpool 25 years to get it right again, largely due to the Fenway Group taking control who had no historical baggage

Fast Forward to Man U now and they're making exactly the same mistake. Looking back to the Alex Ferguson years (him hanging around Old Trafford now is one of the worst things for the club imaginable) and bringing in one of his great players in the hope that the Ferguson method rubs off on the current team. They seem destined to replicate what Liverpool did until such time as there are new owners (or at least major shareholders) who aren't in awe of Ferguson and the Ferguson method

PaulB

Legendary Member
Liverpool had a period of unrivalled success which came to an end as they got left behind by more ambitious, forward-thinking clubs. They kept looking back to the good old days of the Boot Room as a way of replicating their success in the 70s and 80s.

No, you're wrong there. It was exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. It was Dalglish's unexpected retirement followed by the removal of the boot room by Sun-ness that heralded the demise of the structure that had served Liverpool so well. Other clubs weren't more ambitious or forward thinking, there were just clubs around who could take advantage of the catastrophic ego-driven mess Sun-ness bestowed on Anfield.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
No, you're wrong there. It was exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. It was Dalglish's unexpected retirement followed by the removal of the boot room by Sun-ness that heralded the demise of the structure that had served Liverpool so well. Other clubs weren't more ambitious or forward thinking, there were just clubs around who could take advantage of the catastrophic ego-driven mess Sun-ness bestowed on Anfield.
We'll have to agree to disagree. My opinion is that Liverpool continued to look backwards to Paisley and Shankly as the model for success, hence having Dalgish and Souness at the helm who were both inferior managers. That, coupled with the ownership situation plunged Liverpool into decline. For Paisley Shankly read Ferguson. For Dalglish Souness read OGS. And it seems their major shareholders are just as useless

PaulB

Legendary Member
We'll have to agree to disagree. My opinion is that Liverpool continued to look backwards to Paisley and Shankly as the model for success, hence having Dalgish and Souness at the helm who were both inferior managers. That, coupled with the ownership situation plunged Liverpool into decline. For Paisley Shankly read Ferguson. For Dalglish Souness read OGS. And it seems their major shareholders are just as useless
Well if I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong. So I won't. Dalglish was such an 'inferior' manager, he won three titles with Liverpool including the double - while still playing - and is one of only three (possibly four) managers to have won the English first division with more than one club. How 'backwards', eh?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Barnsley beaten 4-2, first time Pompey have reached the fifth round for ten years. Hopefully this run will go as well as that one!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Barnsley beaten 4-2, first time Pompey have reached the fifth round for ten years. Hopefully this run will go as well as that one!
Come on Pompey! What was that lad called who was always seen topless on the Pompey terraces? Tattoos, mad hair? Known by his nickname? I think he owns a bookshop now.

Top Bottom