The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Well if he plays anything like he did for us last season you have got yourself a great goalkeeper in Martinez. I hope he does well because he deserves a regular first team spot - even if it isn't with Arsenal! He's a good 'un!

I am amazed Arsenal let him go, unless Martinez insisted. He looks an amazing goalkeeper and something we desperately needed since Heaton was injured at New Year against Burnley. Heaton is a good golakeeper but injury prone and getting on in years, Martinez could be our number 1 for quite a few seasons to come.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I am amazed Arsenal let him go, unless Martinez insisted. He looks an amazing goalkeeper and something we desperately needed since Heaton was injured at New Year against Burnley. Heaton is a good golakeeper but injury prone and getting on in years, Martinez could be our number 1 for quite a few seasons to come.
Selling Emi does seem a strange thing to do but there is some sense to it.

I suspect Martinez felt he should be first choice keeper after last season's performances and Leno would have to work his way back into the team. Also Martinez was only on £20,000 and Leno was on £100,000, so maybe Martinez wanted parity? Either way this is a good move for Emi because he will no doubt be earning more and he'll have the No.1 keeper spot at Villa.
Arsenal now have to replace him of course but they seem to be doing that with some needed cash left over. Whoever comes in will be the number two keeper, with Matt Macey remaining third choice. Keepers don't get injured that often so maybe there would have been problems with Leno if he couldn't displace Martinez and get his position back.

vickster

Legendary Member
Arsenal now have to replace him of course but they seem to be doing that with some needed cash left over. Whoever comes in will be the number two keeper, with Matt Macey remaining third choice. Keepers don't get injured that often so maybe there would have been problems with Leno if he couldn't displace Martinez and get his position back.
Goalkeeper signed
Runar Alex Runarsson: Arsenal sign Dijon goalkeeper
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54242122

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe this should be posted in the 'personal' or 'medical' section BUT here goes...... . ....now I struggle to type these words........
Liverpool are in 4th place
Everton are 2nd :eek::eek::eek:
That should never be allowed.
It's only GD though...and 2 matches :wacko:
But Everton do look more sorted this season so who knows :whistle:

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I'm happy about that signing. I see Emi has already settled at Villa! Last night will have made their fans happy with him!

Excellent save by Emi last night :notworthy:. If the blades had scored they would have totally shut up shop and killed the game off

PaulB

Legendary Member
Maybe this should be posted in the 'personal' or 'medical' section BUT here goes...... . ....now I struggle to type these words........
Liverpool are in 4th place
Everton are 2nd :eek::eek::eek:
That should never be allowed.
Why? The best thing for Liverpool (the city) and football would be Everton winning the league.

I pondered on this on my looooong drive back from Inverness yesterday (388 miles) and came to the inescapable conclusion that the animosity that's been brewing comes from Liverpudlians who shame us (mainly wools) and undeservedly lording it and Evertonians being bitter at trying to live off the crumbs from Liverpool's banqueting table.

All was much better in the early 80s when it was obvious that Liverpool as a city benefitted enormously from being the actual and real home of football and its trophies. Both teams shared out the glories and that was a tremendous era which I'd love to see come back. I'm having Everton champions and FA Cup winners with Liverpool bringing back big ears and the League Cup for the kids. Then football will be as it always should.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why? The best thing for Liverpool (the city) and football would be Everton winning the league.

I pondered on this on my looooong drive back from Inverness yesterday (388 miles) and came to the inescapable conclusion that the animosity that's been brewing comes from Liverpudlians who shame us (mainly wools) and undeservedly lording it and Evertonians being bitter at trying to live off the crumbs from Liverpool's banqueting table.

All was much better in the early 80s when it was obvious that Liverpool as a city benefitted enormously from being the actual and real home of football and its trophies. Both teams shared out the glories and that was a tremendous era which I'd love to see come back. I'm having Everton champions and FA Cup winners with Liverpool bringing back big ears and the League Cup for the kids. Then football will be as it always should.
I think you can tell that comment was 'tongue in cheek'.
As a supporter for 60 years I always wanted Everton to do well. Even a close second to the reds would be acceptable ^_^.
But........there is a reason they are called the bitters.

Top Bottom