The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What a team! I remember watching that game intently and think it was about the second game we'd ever seen broadcast live on the telly as football just wasn't shown live in those days. All our school were behind the hoops that night and we were all made up Celtic won.
All we till the mid sixties was the FA Cup Final and England v Scotland. West Ham v TSV Munich in the Cup Winners Cup final was the first European final to be shown live in 1965. Even the World Cup games were only on live TV from '66 on.

In many ways though it made the games more special. Although it's great to have plenty of matches to watch now FA Cup and European finals don't empty the streets like they used to.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
What a way to finish! To stay on the bench by choice, come on with 25 minutes to go, equal Wayne Rooney's longstanding record of 183 goals for one club, then score again! And both goals absolute beauties. Beat that for a finale!

Drogba - CL Final 2012 - wins penalty shootout with his final kick for the club?

(Spoiled things by coming back a season or so later.)

PaulB

Legendary Member
Congratulations to record-breakers, Manchester United. The only team to be knocked out of the Champions league , Europa league and European super league all in the same season!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Congratulations to record-breakers, Manchester United. The only team to be knocked out of the Champions league , Europa league and European super league all in the same season!
I wish they'd had the decency to get knocked out in the ninety minutes and not drag the match on most of the night. I work in a newsagents and I was praying for a goal in normal time to end the game because I knew what I'd face in the morning if it over ran - delayed printing while the papers waited for the result, a late delivery, paperboys having to rush off to school and me having to cover five rounds.

And sure enough, that's what happened :cursing:

Thank heaven we don't open Sundays because the publishers have said they'll run over even if the game finishes on time, who knows by how long if it drags on.

Woot the mighty Sutton have been promoted to the EFL for the first time :bravo:
Sutton United 3-0 Hartlepool United: U's win National League title and promotion to English Football League
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57125216

1622211149670.png

Sutton Sal on Twitter: "To celebrate the long-awaited return of fans to our lovely home (plus we miiiight just have a little something extra to celebrate if things go well) I've made some @Vanarama @TheVanaramaNL biscuits to share with my @suttonunited friends this afternoon. I've missed you 💛🤎 (1/25) https://t.co/FUHDnDCUW7" / Twitter

Top Bottom