The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
'Tartan Army invasion: Scotland fans party through the night in London despite Met dispersal order as 20,000 descend on capital in defiance of pleas to stay way'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-London-ahead-Scotlands-Euro-2020-clash.html

Oh dear,this can only end badly.:rolleyes: Mind you,i went to Manchester when an estimated 100,000 Rangers fans 'invaded' in 2008 for the Europa League final. The superb atmosphere was something you just don't witness, watching Accrington Stanley!🧐
Despite what some would have you believe, I was in the majority and had the time of our life. Opposing fans often came out just to witness the atmosphere generated at that time. I was at every away game of that campaign and loved every minute of it. :okay:

I was screaming at the telly "for f***s sake get the ball forward".This continous slow build up which England do just does my head in.:banghead:
As the commentator said last night England don't concede a lot of goals but they don't score a lot neither.
I watch other teams(Countries) and they play with no fear and with flair.England on the other hand seem to see the ball as a hot potato and can't wait to get rid of it.
I don't know if it's the managers or what but imo England have in the most part always played this dull slow build up football.
I thought Scotland played well but not sure if they would be happy with a point.
Rant Over!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thank goodness I was tired last night. Game was so boring I switched off at half time and went to bed.

Strange, I thought it was a surprisingly open game, bordering on 'end to end'.

No shots on target for England (I think), and not many for Scotland, but both teams did have quite a lot of chances - in the context of international tournament fixtures which are often cautious stalemates.

Subbing Foden baffled me, he looked to be one of England's brightest players, albeit none of them shone.

No shots on target for England (I think), and not many for Scotland, but both teams did have quite a lot of chances - in the context of international tournament fixtures which are often cautious stalemates.

Subbing Foden baffled me, he looked to be one of England's brightest players, albeit none of them shone.
Agree with that, a tense and fascinating game. Like many I got it completely wrong and thought Eng would cruise to a win :blink:
Hope Scotland get a result against Croatia next tuesday, they played really well yesterday.

Dave7

Legendary Member

As you say "strange".
Maybe I was just too tired.
A few people texted/messaged me to say (i quote) "dire".
Nil nil against Scotland sounds poor to me.
Even Southgate said how poor England were.
As they say.....it wouldn't do for us to all be the same.

As you say "strange".
Maybe I was just too tired.
A few people texted/messaged me to say (i quote) "dire".
Nil nil against Scotland sounds poor to me.
Even Southgate said how poor England were.
As they say.....it wouldn't do for us to all be the same.
One if the ’conspiracy’ theories I’ve heard is that if England come second in their group, then they’ll have, potentially, an ‘easier’ opponent in their next game.
Quite how that works out is beyond me, plus England’s style of play (despite having the best bunch of young, talented players in their squad for a generation) - slow, slow, slow slow slow - isn’t going to trouble many teams who reach the last 16. :blush:

One if the ’conspiracy’ theories I’ve heard is that if England come second in their group, then they’ll have, potentially, an ‘easier’ opponent in their next game.
Quite how that works out is beyond me, plus England’s style of play (despite having the best bunch of young, talented players in their squad for a generation) - slow, slow, slow slow slow - isn’t going to trouble many teams who reach the last 16. :blush:
Trying to come second in our group could be dangerous, although a draw with Czech does indeed swerve us past a group F 'biggy' but potentially into the path of Spain? Who knows at this point?

AndyRM

XOXO
There's something up with Kane for sure. He just doesn't look right, he's either ill or knackered. I'd be amazed if he starts the next game, so I'd better adjust my fantasy football team.

Amazing reaction from Scotland after the Czech game. If we get out of this group everyone involved with the side will go down as absolute legends, and rightly so.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Maybe Nicola could get them a goal? I'd be proud of Scotland today, if they come out like that against Croatia, who knows?
Speaking as an Irishman with no axe to grind, that is the WRONG attitude. In Scotland's position they desperately needed the win, and a draw was not a good result. The Scots fell into the trap of regarding the England match as something more important than the competition itself (Something they've done in the past) and regard the draw as some sort of moral victory. Pumping themselves up because it's "The auld enemy" could have a negative effect against Croatia because that is their most important game in the group and a must win. It is not always easy to maintain that level of commitment two games running and they could well find themselves a bit flat against a useful side.

AndyRM

XOXO
Speaking as an Irishman with no axe to grind, that is the WRONG attitude. In Scotland's position they desperately needed the win, and a draw was not a good result. The Scots fell into the trap of regarding the England match as something more important than the competition itself (Something they've done in the past) and regard the draw as some sort of moral victory. Pumping themselves up because it's "The auld enemy" could have a negative effect against Croatia because that is their most important game in the group and a must win. It is not always easy to maintain that level of commitment two games running and they could well find themselves a bit flat against a useful side.

A draw wasn't a good result? Seriously? Unless you mean for England, in which case I agree.

Steve Clarke is an exceptional manager, he'll have us well prepared and set up for Croatia.

Top Bottom