The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Another good result for the boys in blue. Its more than likely to be a step too far but beating Denmark would be amazing as it would guarantee a home tie in the playoffs. We dare to dream. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
A bit of luck needed I think but who knows !

Slick

Guru
A bit of luck needed I think but who knows !
Who knows, they are that far in front them may play their kids. 🤞

Slick

Guru
What a team, bring it on. :notworthy::wahhey:
Well........maybe not the Italians. :laugh:

AndyRM

XOXO
Great result for us against a side ranked in the top 10.

I was absolutely gutted when Clarke left us (see also Mixu and Shiels (though he was pushed)), but to see him working similar miracles with the national side is very pleasing indeed.

Hopefully we'll get a favourable draw, through to the final and then all the way there. Our lack of tournament nous showed at the Euros, but hopefully we can build on the experience if we manage it.

To dare, to dream!

Lozz360

Veteran
Great display and result by England. However, I do wonder what the point of having the micro nations competing in the WC qualifying groups. It must be humiliating to be thrashed in every “competitive” game you play in. I also wonder what benefit it really is to the established nations, to run up a rugby score against countries that have a population equivalent of a small UK market town.

It was suggested (by Ian Wright) that there should be qualifying rounds. An alternative could be to put the lower ranking UEFA nations (ie. San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar, etc.) in the same group, then the winner of the group could enter into into the playoffs. That would give everyone a chance while avoiding the seemingly pointless games where one side gets humiliated.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Great display and result by England. However, I do wonder what the point of having the micro nations competing in the WC qualifying groups. It must be humiliating to be thrashed in every “competitive” game you play in. I also wonder what benefit it really is to the established nations, to run up a rugby score against countries that have a population equivalent of a small UK market town.

It was suggested (by Ian Wright) that there should be qualifying rounds. An alternative could be to put the lower ranking UEFA nations (ie. San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar, etc.) in the same group, then the winner of the group could enter into into the playoffs. That would give everyone a chance while avoiding the seemingly pointless games where one side gets humiliated.
That is similar to what happens in Africa, although there the bottom sides qualify to enter the main competition.

I certainly see the romance in part-time footballers in the smaller nations getting to play against their heroes, but it is not as though San Marino could ever be competitive, let alone win a game against the big sides. There needs to be a chance for them if they get a good side and a good run together, but yesterday's game didn't do any favours for anyone except Harry Kane's record.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Great results for Scotland and Northern Ireland, How Italy have only won half their games in that group is a mystery, but funny nevertheless....

Wales could do with point to get an home draw, but are in the hat anyway thanks to nations league, and its all to play for between Netherlands Norway and Turkey in their group.

Its hard to avoid the "thrashing" scenario, as if the don't get decent games they never improve, but realistically San Marino, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar Malta don't have the player base to complete, but then go back 10 yeas and you'd have never given Albania a chance, and they put up a decent showing so hard to know where to draw the line and how to transition between a minnows group / seeding group and main draw would need a lot of thought.

Some decent team in the play-offs already, and only 3 teams from 12 go thru....

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can't remember ever seeing a Scotland team play like that before. Proper team playing some seriously good football. Whatever next.

Top Bottom