The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
Didn't they have to ask for someone to be 'assistant referee' when the lino twisted his ankle and they were fortunate enough to have Glenn Campbell (don't bring pesky 'facts' into it!) in the crowd who happens to have a licence to officiate at football matches? Altogether now......
There’s clearly a song there somewhere.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just seen a great FA Cup match replay between Stockport County and Bolton.
County were 2 down after 6 minutes, 3-1 down after 29 minutes (all 3 goals coming from terrible defending), then 3-3 with 5 minutes remaining, with 2 scored in extra time, the last one with virtually the last kick of the game.
There was a pitch invasion, the scorer of the 5th goal tore off his shirt and chucked it on the pitch only for some opportunist fan to nick it, flares were being set off and it seemed that a corner flag was nicked, too.
What a GREAT game - it had everything. ❤
It was a joy to watch after that sterile rubbish in the World Cup qualifiers over the weekend.

One thing I found amusing, we're used to seeing the big multi nationals with their names on Premier League shirts as kit sponsors, poor old Bolton have to make do with Home Bargains.

How the other half live.

Slick

Guru

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Any Aston Villains on here?

I'm reading a lot about their new world beating manager, but I don't see it.

Every Rangers and Celtic manager does well up there in terms of league position and winning stuff.

But none of Gerrard's players would get a sniff in a top Premiership team, so why does everyone assume he can manage players several levels above what he's used to?

Equally, the general standard of play in Scotland is lamentable.

If Gerrard reckons Celtic is a tough opponent, he's in for a shock when he comes up against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, City, and the rest.

In his favour is he knows what a top class player should be doing, having been one.

Seems to me his managerial experience so far makes him a big risk at Villa, and certainly not another Conte or Guardiola as some commentators have been portraying him.

Slick

Guru

Every Rangers and Celtic manager does well up there in terms of league position and winning stuff.

But none of Gerrard's players would get a sniff in a top Premiership team, so why does everyone assume he can manage players several levels above what he's used to?

If Gerrard reckons Celtic is a tough opponent, he's in for a shock when he comes up against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, City, and the rest.

In his favour is he knows what a top class player should be doing, having been one.

Seems to me his managerial experience so far makes him a big risk at Villa, and certainly not another Conte or Guardiola as some commentators have been portraying him.
Not every Rangers or Celtic managers are successful, just ask Tommy Burns or Ally McCoist. I think its all relative, and Gerrard winning a title with that group of players was the dictionary definition of success, although it could be argued that he should have done it the year before when he lead his team to a famous new year derby win to stay top at Christmas. That is the sort of lesson Villa would need him to learn before arriving in the big league. As much as I hate to admit it.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member

As a Villa season ticket holder I think it's a gamble. There are many fans who thought Dean Smith should have been given time to turn it around. I was not one of them, I have massive respect for what Smith has done, but felt Deano has taken us as far as he could.

I agree Gerrard is going to have a steep learning curve and Villa fans can be quite fickle, soon turning on the manager if it continues to go pear shaped.

I think Purslow was the one pushing for this, he has the Liverpool connection and likes big name managers. Time will tell, I hope for the best but am cautious about all the hype surrounding our new gaffer.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am a big Gerrard fan and hope it goes well at Villa but as I said previously I fear he has made a mistake and should have stayed at Rangers to perfect his craft.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some big/interesting prem' games on today.
Villa at home to Brighton.
LFC vs Arsenal. Arse are playing well but I fancy LFC for this one.
Watford vs Utd. Big one for Olè.
MoTD should be worth watching.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
As a Villa season ticket holder I think it's a gamble. There are many fans who thought Dean Smith should have been given time to turn it around. I was not one of them, I have massive respect for what Smith has done, but felt Deano has taken us as far as he could.

I agree Gerrard is going to have a steep learning curve and Villa fans can be quite fickle, soon turning on the manager if it continues to go pear shaped.

I think Purslow was the one pushing for this, he has the Liverpool connection and likes big name managers. Time will tell, I hope for the best but am cautious about all the hype surrounding our new gaffer.
Isnt that the same with every appointment….i mean look at mourinho at UTD and Spurs, it didnt work.

So why cant gerrards appointment work???

Slick

Guru
Isnt that the same with every appointment….i mean look at mourinho at UTD and Spurs, it didnt work.

I think he will have to prove himself as there will be many doubters. I also think it won't take him long to so so. :okay:

jowwy

I think he will have to prove himself as there will be many doubters. I also think it won't take him long to so so. :okay:
I think there are many doubters with every appointment……..some work, some dont. I think he got a good few years under him at rangers, he knows how he wants to play and villa have a fairly decent squad for a mid table team

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member

Mourinho had already managed a big club in the Prem, in my opinion there was more chance he would be successful.

I hope he does well as does any sensible Villa fan. You can think it's a gamble but still get 100% behind the club and the team.

jowwy

Mourinho had already managed a big club in the Prem, in my opinion there was more chance he would be successful.

I hope he does well as does any sensible Villa fan. You can think it's a gamble but still get 100% behind the club and the team.
All im saying is….not every appointment works, no matter the level of experience or the amount of money you throw at it

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
All im saying is….not every appointment works, no matter the level of experience or the amount of money you throw at it

I agree.

My first impressions of Gerrard in his interviews as the new villa boss are positive, he has a clear idea how he wants them to play and has said he will review the players and make decisions over the next six weeks.

Sounds like he is not afraid to ruffle a few feathers. Ming's remains captain short term but not commited to him remaining so.

Our defence needs sorting out and we a decent defensive midfielder, as that are is pretty lightweight.

I was hoping to go this afternoon, but something last minute has cropped up, so will be watching highlights on Match of The Day.

Top Bottom