The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Going to see Wales v Greece tonight - Wales are reportedly threatening to be 'ruthless'. It'll be pissing with rain so my main concern is that they don't sing the whole Greek national anthem. It's got 158 stanzas.

I reckon what they should do is sing the first couple then keep it playing over the tannoy once the game starts, see how long it lasts.

yello

They qualified in 2010 as well.

Did they? *googles* ah, yes, so they did. A better performance then too (unbeaten!) finishing above Italy in the table too. How could I not know that? What on earth was I doing in 2010?? Answers on a postcard...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Who?
Ralf Rangnick: Manchester United set to appoint German on six-month contract
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59421961
I saw him described the other day as "The German Tony Pulis" which tickled me.

Apparently he "invented Gegenpress" (the high press or counter-press), according to his Wikipedia page. Which is some going seeing as even Jurgen Klopp points out that the concept was already popular in England in the 70s, used to great effect by the Netherlands side in the 1974 World Cup, and was more likely "invented" by Viktor Maslov at Dynamo Kiev in 1964. When Rangnick was 6. 😄

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
World cup - draw for playoffs in the European Qualifiers:

1) Wales drawn in the same path as Scotland - no way both are going to Qatar now.
2) Italy drawn in the same path as Portugal. Again, one is going to miss some winter sun next year.

AndyRM

XOXO
Apparently we've only played Ukraine twice, lost one, won one. I kind of forget that they're a relatively 'new' country.

They're a decent side, and have a couple of very dangerous players. Hopefully home advantage will see us through.

It's a shame that should we manage it we could end up playing Wales. The more home nations at tournaments the better.

AndyRM

XOXO
I can't see Ronaldo doing gegenpress. Not these days.

I dunno, he's still a pretty supreme athlete, though probably couldn't take that intensity for a full 90.

Man Utd's top scorer by some margin too, so Rangnick is going to have his work cut out for him trying to get the rest of the team scoring and not relying on Ronaldo.

yello

I dunno, he's still a pretty supreme athlete, though probably couldn't take that intensity for a full 90.
Sorry, I was being a little sarcastic. Ronaldo IS a supreme athlete, I agree, and deserves praise for looking after himself. It's truly impressive, to the point of obsession perhaps.

I just get the impression he only puts the effort in for himself. Watching him against Leicester (and, OK, ManU were poor generally that day) he really wasn't overly interested in tracking back, or pressing. He was pretty static, waiting for a chance. Similarly for Portugal in a recent match, he did sod all in terms of work rate but was where he needed to be when he needed to be. He's that kind of player; can make something out of nothing, take the chances.... but he doesn't strike me as someone who works hard generally for the team.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sorry, I was being a little sarcastic. Ronaldo IS a supreme athlete, I agree, and deserves praise for looking after himself. It's truly impressive, to the point of obsession perhaps.

I just get the impression he only puts the effort in for himself. Watching him against Leicester (and, OK, ManU were poor generally that day) he really wasn't overly interested in tracking back, or pressing. He was pretty static, waiting for a chance. Similarly for Portugal in a recent match, he did sod all in terms of work rate but was where he needed to be when he needed to be. He's that kind of player; can make something out of nothing, take the chances.... but he doesn't strike me as someone who works hard generally for the team.
Hes the laziest player in the premier league…..even scholesy said so

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Hes the laziest player in the premier league…..even scholesy said so
He’s been the laziest player at every club he’s been too :whistle: . Not bad for a lazy ass :okay: Now I’m not comparing like for like here different eras but Maradona was also not exactly one for tracking back either !? Nor Messi for that matter , you just give them the ball and they work wonders.

Top Bottom