The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
but my point was, his undoubted talents and abilities aside, perhaps not one to operate effectively in a gegenpress!
He isn't really a team player, everything has to revolve around him. Not much good in a side who are struggling (In top four terms, obviously) and need payers who will roll their sleeves up and get stuck in.

Stephenite

Membå
He isn't really a team player, everything has to revolve around him. Not much good in a side who are struggling (In top four terms, obviously) and need payers who will roll their sleeves up and get stuck in.
Disagree. He understands his role within the team.

If you think he ought to run around like a headless chicken, thats something else.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Disagree. He understands his role within the team.

If you think he ought to run around like a headless chicken, thats something else.
Nobody is suggesting he does that. But there is no defined role for him to understand at United, he was shoe horned in as an impulse buy, a romantic history thing, perhaps driven by the speculation he might go to the other side of the city. He's really, really super at tap ins from 6 yards, and for a 36 year old he's in great shape, but if you're Rangnick he's not a player you want in your side.

Ralf Rangnick has been appointed manager, and he has always advocated a high pressing game, like you see from Klopp at Liverpool and Guardiola at City. To operate that system you need players that fit in to that system. Salah will chase a left back who's just nabbed the ball from him, Jesus will chase that centre back who's just won a tackle. These players will do that whenever it's needed, I.e. whenever you lose possession, and CR37 just doesn't offer that. Never has. He's not that selfless. He fits into a different system, a system that probably had its day a few years back, one where players could be carried for the 4 minutes of brilliance they could sprinkle on the game. You need to be more "complete" now, skill yes, brilliance yes, but also grit.

I think United are looking at Pochettino in 6 months which, given his love of a high press, and this interim appointment, makes some sense. And United might actually be being dragged into the 21st century, a decade late.

But there certainly won't be a plan to "run like a headless chicken", just a plan to work hard in closing down the opposition defenders, which I fear is not in Ronaldo's makeup.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Sorry, I was being a little sarcastic. Ronaldo IS a supreme athlete, I agree, and deserves praise for looking after himself. It's truly impressive, to the point of obsession perhaps.

I just get the impression he only puts the effort in for himself. Watching him against Leicester (and, OK, ManU were poor generally that day) he really wasn't overly interested in tracking back, or pressing. He was pretty static, waiting for a chance. Similarly for Portugal in a recent match, he did sod all in terms of work rate but was where he needed to be when he needed to be. He's that kind of player; can make something out of nothing, take the chances.... but he doesn't strike me as someone who works hard generally for the team.

No need to apologise!

The best players read the game and know what they need to do, and when. Pirlo and Berbatov would be similar examples at that level.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
No need to apologise!

The best players read the game and know what they need to do, and when. Pirlo and Berbatov would be similar examples at that level.
Pirlo and berbatov didnt play in high press teams……watch pirlo play and he hardly runs, he lets the ball do the work. Cant do that in a high press

vickster

Legendary Member
Nobody is suggesting he does that. But there is no defined role for him to understand at United, he was shoe horned in as an impulse buy, a romantic history thing, perhaps driven by the speculation he might go to the other side of the city. He's really, really super at tap ins from 6 yards, and for a 36 year old he's in great shape, but if you're Rangnick he's not a player you want in your side.

Ralf Rangnick has been appointed manager, and he has always advocated a high pressing game, like you see from Klopp at Liverpool and Guardiola at City. To operate that system you need players that fit in to that system. Salah will chase a left back who's just nabbed the ball from him, Jesus will chase that centre back who's just won a tackle. These players will do that whenever it's needed, I.e. whenever you lose possession, and CR37 just doesn't offer that. Never has. He's not that selfless. He fits into a different system, a system that probably had its day a few years back, one where players could be carried for the 4 minutes of brilliance they could sprinkle on the game. You need to be more "complete" now, skill yes, brilliance yes, but also grit.

I think United are looking at Pochettino in 6 months which, given his love of a high press, and this interim appointment, makes some sense. And United might actually be being dragged into the 21st century, a decade late.

But there certainly won't be a plan to "run like a headless chicken", just a plan to work hard in closing down the opposition defenders, which I fear is not in Ronaldo's makeup.
Maybe only in the opposite penalty area for corners :whistle:

jowwy

Yes, you can.
So what, the ball press’s the opposition into making mistakes does it…..cause i thought thats what the players do, by running hard and pressing as a unit

must have got it wrong some how…..my bad

yello

Look at the talent at Man City, they run themselves ragged... well, with the possible exception of Mahrez ;)

De Bruyne comes off the pitch (either subbed or fulltime) soaked in sweat, looking completely shattered. Those guys are talented footballers, and 100% committed in harrying and hassling the opposition when they're on the ball. As @CanucksTraveller said upthread, that's the new game - and particularly the German/high press game.

AndyRM

XOXO
So what, the ball press’s the opposition into making mistakes does it…..cause i thought thats what the players do, by running hard and pressing as a unit

must have got it wrong some how…..my bad

Have you ever actually played football? Or do you just get all this 'high press' nonsense off MOTD?

It's been a tactic for years; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

jowwy

Have you ever actually played football? Or do you just get all this 'high press' nonsense off MOTD?

It's been a tactic for years; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Yeh….welsh county league standard. What about you???

since when has pirlo when he played, been part of a high press??? Or even ronaldo for that matter???
ragnick is know for it and as @CanucksTraveller alluded to earlier, ronaldo doesnt have the type of game to do it for ragnick.

its not just my opinion, its also the opinion of many professionals of the game and and ex team mates of ronaldo.
but im done, your on ignore.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yeh….welsh county league standard. What about you???

since when has pirlo when he played, been part of a high press??? Or even ronaldo for that matter???
ragnick is know for it and as @CanucksTraveller alluded to earlier, ronaldo doesnt have the type of game to do it for ragnick.

its not just my opinion, its also the opinion of many professionals of the game and and ex team mates of ronaldo.
but im done, your on ignore.

Jesus, you're a belligerent chap aren't you?

I've played for several non-league clubs.

I'm glad you're ignoring me now. Hopefully your ill informed posts about football won't show up on this thread any more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom