The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Closer to 37 than 36 and is defo a has been - hes gone to UTD to fill his retirement pot up. Cause he aint winning the league there or the champions league....so whats the point in being there.....i can give you Half a million points why and thats it. UTD only signed him cause he was going to city.

1638196725120.png

jowwy

I don't reach my conclusions based on what others think on any subject though I'm always happy to take it on board and perhaps change my view.

My first interest real interest in league football resulted from the '65 cup final. Utd have always been widely supported across the UK and with every decade which passes that "support" has spread wider and wider across the world. A little research on Google quickly shows Utd have an enormous fan base and some argue are the world's best supported club. I feel the majority would agree this is the case hence biggest.

You are counting "biggest" by trophies alone. I do not. I described Liverpool as a "proper" football club and I feel are a better club in every respect than Utd. It's about every aspect of the culture which surrounds Liverpool. This though doesn't make Liverpool the bigger club and it really doesn't matter.

As a humble Rover I can see this. As someone who loved to watch the great Liverpool sides of the 60s, 70s and 80s I can see it. As you're a Liverpool fan I'm surprised you don't see this. Great is far more important than "biggest."

i see you edited the first line of your post before i could reply, but saying im aggresive towards others, maybe you should read the posts aimed towards me , without the blinkers on. i mean some members make abusive posts towards, even though they have stated numerous times that they got me on ignore, go figure

our opinions ( and thats all the really are is opinions) on "biggest" club may differ....but your right about "greatest" and every fan i speak to, have called UTD the biggest club due to trophy haul. A players is measured on how many trophies he wins, thats why some call scholes the greatest midfielder and gerrard 2nd, cause scholes has more trophies........

but when it comes to clubs, its about fan base rather than trophies, but nobody truelly knows how big each clubs fan base is, i mean some utd fans jumped across to city when they started winning the leagues and before that chelsea.....

even in my own family both my uncle and brother jumped across to be UTD fans from being spurs fans as kids growing up. Myself have always been Liverpool

opinions are just that, one persons opinion to anothers....there is no right or wrong.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Yep, as a Leicester fan I've never got the 'hatred' for Nottingham Forest. Indeed, Forest under Clough were perhaps my favourite other team back then.

That hatred is applied to east midlands teams generally. I don't get it. The only thing I can figure is that I wasn't raised in Leicester (only born) so wasn't indoctrinated from any early age (school etc)
I am a Foxes fan, born and raised in Leicestershire until I moved north in 2010.
My emnity was always directed towards Coventry but they haven't given us much competition for many years. ^_^
Maybe Coventry because I lived in the south of Leicestershire near the Warwickshire border.

Last edited:

yello

That's the problem with being a Leicester fan... no teams worthy of hatred.... Forest, Cov, Derby... all gone ;)

I guess there's only really Wolves and Villa to figure as 'local derbies'... and they're probably intent on squaring up against each other.

Leicester's new song; 'everybody loves us and we're not really used to it' :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Look what this report says - its laughable

View attachment 619895

we've got our fighting spirit back, i mean what a joke. They get a lucky goal from a peter kay clearance ( john smiths adverts) and other than that got mullered for 89 minutes, with de gea yet again keeping them in the game. Just like the spurs game was a false dawn, i believe this one to be too.....

Unless they get a whole new midfield, fullbacks and a proper striker ( not another 37yr old has been ) they will be forever be a mid table cup team, as roy keane said in the skysports studio after the game.

They deserved nothing from the game and were gifted a goal after a catastrophic piece of play by Jorghino

Some ridiculous misses by us (again).

That's 4 wasted points lost to MUFC and Burnley.

Still (just about) top of the league.

The African cobblers may well shake things up.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I am (as I said previously) a life long LFC supporter.
However I have enjoyed watching some of the great Utd teams** through the years as I appreciate good football
**George Best, Dennis Law etc.
Ryan Giggs etc.
Some other Fergie teams.
As you say Utd will have their day again but hopefully not for a long time ^_^

Even though we are CFC fans here we bought the MUFC 1999 Treble DVD as it was such a stunning achievement.

MUFC are far and away the best team there has ever been in England.

I hope they get back on form (may be a way off) as we are now down to only 3 heavyweight English teams on the Euro-stage - and despite my own club's 55 years of allegiance I do enjoy seeing the English clubs taking on and doing well vs the best in Europe.

jowwy

Even though we are CFC fans here we bought the MUFC 1999 Treble DVD as it was such a stunning achievement.

I hope they get back on form (may be a way off) as we are now down to only 3 heavyweight English teams on the Euro-stage - and despite my own club's 55 years of allegiance I do enjoy seeing the English clubs taking on and doing well vs the best in Europe.
You was doing so well, until you added this line of comedy into your post.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@PaulSB, are you Rovers or P.N.E ? 🤔

When I watched t' Rovers in the 1970's/80's we had mates/fellow fans from Chorley who went to many away matches with us. Funnily enough we hardly saw them at home games, but they always turned up for the away ones.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
i see you edited the first line of your post before i could reply, but saying im aggresive towards others, maybe you should read the posts aimed towards me , without the blinkers on. i mean some members make abusive posts towards, even though they have stated numerous times that they got me on ignore, go figure

our opinions ( and thats all the really are is opinions) on "biggest" club may differ....but your right about "greatest" and every fan i speak to, have called UTD the biggest club due to trophy haul. A players is measured on how many trophies he wins, thats why some call scholes the greatest midfielder and gerrard 2nd, cause scholes has more trophies........

but when it comes to clubs, its about fan base rather than trophies, but nobody truelly knows how big each clubs fan base is, i mean some utd fans jumped across to city when they started winning the leagues and before that chelsea.....

even in my own family both my uncle and brother jumped across to be UTD fans from being spurs fans as kids growing up. Myself have always been Liverpool

opinions are just that, one persons opinion to anothers....there is no right or wrong.
Yes, I edited my post because I thought better of making the remark. Reasonable action in my view.

Defining players "greatness" by the number of trophies they've won simply doesn't work.

Or would you write off Alan Shearer? After all he only won a single trophy in club competition in an 18 year professional career.

Les Ferdinand?
Matt Le Thissier?
Stuart Pearce?
Harry Kane? - still time but unlikely at Spurs
Johnny Haynes?

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PaulSB, are you Rovers or P.N.E ? 🤔

When I watched t' Rovers in the 1970's/80's we had mates/fellow fans from Chorley who went to many away matches with us. Funnily enough we hardly saw them at home games, but they always turned up for the away ones.
Rovers.

I know there are Rovers fans who currently only go to away matches but this is in protest at the Venkys regime.

Everyone I know who goes to Ewood I would bump in to from time to time at away games.

jowwy

Yes, I edited my post because I thought better of making the remark. Reasonable action in my view.

Defining players "greatness" by the number of trophies they've won simply doesn't work.

Or would you write off Alan Shearer? After all he only won a single trophy in club competition in an 18 year professional career.

Les Ferdinand?
Matt Le Thissier?
Stuart Pearce?
Harry Kane? - still time but unlikely at Spurs
Johnny Haynes?
no i dont judge players that way.....the same as i dont judge who's the biggest club by size of fan base, something that in reality cant be judged.

but others do.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

I think the Man U success in recent times is down to one man alone , like him or loathe him he built not one but two maybe even 3 decent teams in his time as manager. Probably more so as it was youngsters coming up through .

I remember the great Liverpool side from the 70s early 80s, again Scottish influence to the fore :whistle: . A cracking side but a different era of football.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So LFC are away to Everton on Wednesday. One of the biggest matches of the season and its not on TV !!!!
Its on Amazon. I already pay stupid money for Virgin and am not willing to pay extra for Amazon. Grrhhhh

Top Bottom