The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
First walked into Upton Park at nine years old. Been a life long Hammers fan since.

So am i being plastic or just supporting the players of my nation at club level???

Using that reasoning an English fan could justify supporting any club in the league!

I genuinely pity people who haven't a connection to a club however poor that club is, I should know coming from Wolverhampton but at least it's a genuine connection and I can see them play on a regular basis.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Using that reasoning an English fan could justify supporting any club in the league!

I genuinely pity people who haven't a connection to a club however poor that club is, I should know coming from Wolverhampton but at least it's a genuine connection and I can see them play on a regular basis.

Whoopy for you….not everyone had that opportunity growing up.

GetFatty

Über Member
Not quite enough though. 😉

No but promising enough not to write off our season yet.

I started following Liverpool in 1972 as my mum’s family were from down that way. I couldn’t go though because my dad didn’t like football and my uncle had had his pocket picked on the Kop. I did eventually live in Liverpool and still go up occasionally. My local team was Burnley which those in the know will recognise as similar to Newcastle, not really any fans of other clubs welcome in the area. My childhood was “interesting “ growing up alongside the future Burnley nutters. I have been to the Turf but not as many times as I’ve been to Anfield. I also try to get down to watch my now local team, Welling United, with @rb58 of this parish

jowwy

What, to support a team near to where they live?

Funny how few people seem to 'support ' the lesser teams when it comes to selecting a non local club?

As said before I've no issue with people that actually go to games of clubs they've adopted but the plastics make me laugh.

I go to games when i can….but my disabled partner comes before football, thats my rules. I couldnt give a shoot what yours are.

but you also know nothing about were i live and what teams there are to support. But wales didnt have a league until the early 90s…….swansea, cardiff and newport played in the english leagues as they do now.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
What, to support a team near to where they live?

Funny how few people seem to 'support ' the lesser teams when it comes to selecting a non local club?

As said before I've no issue with people that actually go to games of clubs they've adopted but the plastics make me laugh.

Well when I was a teenager my nearest league clubs were all over 30 miles away. My home town was Grantham, who in those days were a Southern League Premier division team (along with Wimbledon - mentioned above). I did go regularly to watch them, and the highlight of my time watching them was the year we got to the third round of the cup (beating Rochdale & Port Vale on the way), losing there to Middlesborough (then a 2nd division side).

Then I went to university in Swansea, and started watching them at the Vetch, just about the time Toshack came in as manager - when they were in the old 4th division. I moved away the year after I left uni, and stopped going to matches, but still regard the Swans as my team. Funnily I also remember going to watch the Swans against Middlesborough in the 3rd round of the cup, when somehow or other we lost 5-0 and left the ground wondering how we didn't win it!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@ianrauk when I was a kid following Guildford City the match against Wimbledon was the derby! Mainly I think because a guy at school lived in Wimbledon and travelled to Guildford to go to school. I watched City about 1968 to 1971/72. I recall you had a brilliant keeper, Guy ????, who I think went on to play for a league club, possibly a then 1st Division side?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I grew up about 30 miles away from Middlesbrough, so they were my team, despite my dad for some reason supporting Hartlepool (one of his brothers supported Sunderland and the other two Middlesbrough, I suspect some brotherly rivalry, all a bit odd) . We also used to go and watch Whitby town, which was much closer and Lealholm, the local rank amateur village team, who my dad ended up referee-ing a lot. He played for them before a bad leg break curtailed his playing and he switched to referee-ing in late 20's (pre me).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ianrauk when I was a kid following Guildford City the match against Wimbledon was the derby! Mainly I think because a guy at school lived in Wimbledon and travelled to Guildford to go to school. I watched City about 1968 to 1971/72. I recall you had a brilliant keeper, Guy ????, who I think went on to play for a league club, possibly a then 1st Division side?

I don't know Paul. I never supported Wimbledon :okay:

PaulB

Legendary Member
It was not unusual for lots of my school mates at the time that we'd go to both Goodison and Anfield as there wasn't much else to do on Saturdays. My uncle was a blue so would take us to the seats at Goodison where little 5 year-old me could watch the whole game in comfort. My dad couldn't afford the seats at Anfield so I had to stretch and stand on my tiptoes to be able to get an occasional glimpse of the grass when he took me there. But in the end, it was the sheer atmosphere and the drama at Anfield that had me a confirmed red for life. Imagine if I'd gone the other way! Starved of real success and those life-affirming moments of great triumph!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It was not unusual for lots of my school mates at the time that we'd go to both Goodison and Anfield as there wasn't much else to do on Saturdays. My uncle was a blue so would take us to the seats at Goodison where little 5 year-old me could watch the whole game in comfort. My dad couldn't afford the seats at Anfield so I had to stretch and stand on my tiptoes to be able to get an occasional glimpse of the grass when he took me there. But in the end, it was the sheer atmosphere and the drama at Anfield that had me a confirmed red for life. Imagine if I'd gone the other way! Starved of real success and those life-affirming moments of great triumph!

Aye but you would have got to see the legendary Kevin Sheedy in his prime!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

jowwy

Aye but you would have got to see the legendary Kevin Sheedy in his prime!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

answer a simple question....

Was Kevin Sheedy a liverpool player or not? Yes or No..........it doesnt matter if its 1 game, 2 games or 300 games, he was a liverpool player before he was an everton player, its just plain FACT

Top Bottom