The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R_nger

Guru
The video ref has now admitted he made a mistake with the 2nd Tottenham goal.

Has he ? I thought that he said he’d made a mistake with the hair pulling. As I understand it, the corner would still have been taken. The mistake with the second goal was on Chelsea and their marking.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Has he ? I thought that he said he’d made a mistake with the hair pulling. As I understand it, the corner would still have been taken. The mistake with the second goal was on Chelsea and their marking.

The second corner would not have happened if Dean (as he now admits he was in error) had advised Taylor to visit the pitch side monitor re the hair pull.

Abysmal refereeing by Taylor & Dean.

SpokeyDokey

The problem with refereeing is that there seems to be no accountability, any incident and the PGMOL just close ranks and say nothing.

Referees don't have to account for themselves post match and managers must not comment on a referees performance.

End of the day we lost 2 very valuable, and well deserved, points and Spurs gained 1 they should not have had.

I hope Taylor never officiates at one of our games again and that Dean gives up his VAR duties for good.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The problem with refereeing is that there seems to be no accountability, any incident and the PGMOL just close ranks and say nothing.

Referees don't have to account for themselves post match and managers must not comment on a referees performance.

End of the day we lost 2 very valuable, and well deserved, points and Spurs gained 1 they should not have had.

I hope Taylor never officiates at one of our games again and that Dean gives up his VAR duties for good.

can you see any of that happening though...i watched the game,but missed the equalising goal. But the standard of refeering in the first 2 weeks of the season has been abysmal at best.

The blatant push in the box in UTD v Brighton game is not a peno, yet a mear touch of knees between VVD and Mitrovic is a pen......theres no sense in the refereeing anymore.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Bit strong, because players never make a mistake do they?

It is annoying when something you feel is obvious doesn't get picked up or checked, but it tends to even itself out over the season.

Stokes opening goal vs Boro on Wednesday was from a clear foul (not given) on our wing back on the HW line, but you suck it up and get on with it.

SpokeyDokey

Bit strong, because players never make a mistake do they?

It is annoying when something you feel is obvious doesn't get picked up or checked, but it tends to even itself out over the season.

Stokes opening goal vs Boro on Wednesday was from a clear foul (not given) on our wing back on the HW line, but you suck it up and get on with it.

I know you have to suck it up and get on with it plus it's not life threatening. 😁

I've never seen any bad decision evening-out data despite it being oft-quoted.

Re 'bit strong' : no way, Taylor has a long record of bad decisions when in charge of our games.

The loss of 2 points will not affect the title race, imo there are still 2 teams better than us in the league but they could well affect a top 4 placing with a resurgent Arsenal & Spurs in the mix.

SpokeyDokey

can you see any of that happening though...i watched the game,but missed the equalising goal. But the standard of refeering in the first 2 weeks of the season has been abysmal at best.

The blatant push in the box in UTD v Brighton game is not a peno, yet a mear touch of knees between VVD and Mitrovic is a pen......theres no sense in the refereeing anymore.

No, I can't see it happening. The clubs really ought to push for a complete overhaul of the PGMOL.

VVD / Mitrovic decision was bizzare.

I'm tired of our sub-standard refereeing often ruining games. Some of the ref's don't even look physically fit and are carrying some 'timber' - maybe indicative of their attitude to a well paid job. £200k pa plus £1500 per match expenses for Dean (includes CL duties).

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
No, I can't see it happening. The clubs really ought to push for a complete overhaul of the PGMOL.

VVD / Mitrovic decision was bizzare.

I'm tired of our sub-standard refereeing often ruining games. Some of the ref's don't even look physically fit and are carrying some 'timber' - maybe indicative of their attitude to a well paid job. £200k pa plus £1500 per match expenses for Dean (includes CL duties).

Totally agree

and yes ref's do seem to be unfit and not upto standard these days. To much reliance on VAR

Last edited:

R_nger

Guru
The second corner would not have happened if Dean (as he now admits he was in error) had advised Taylor to visit the pitch side monitor re the hair pull.

Abysmal refereeing by Taylor & Dean.

Is that true ? The ball wasn’t in play, so regardless of whether they sent off the player, it still restarts with the corner.

Every team suffers poor decisions at all levels (and Chelsea have benefitted from many over the years), but I agree that the PGMOL needs an overhaul… starting with Mike Riley.

AndyRM

XOXO
You think the standard of refereeing in England is poor? Watch some Scottish football. Absolutely woeful.

The best weekend of refereeing we had was when ours all went on strike and we imported some from various parts of Europe so that fixtures could go ahead.

I totally agree about the accountability. I've thought it would improve standards throughout the game for a long time, and I don't get the omertà.

Mike_P

Guru
The premiership gets the best refs which does not say much of the rest. One National League game last week saw the ref on his fourth consecutive match at that ground give the home team yet another dodgy penalty and no VAR to confuse the matter further. Re the hair pulling incident yes the corner should still have been taken once the player had been red carded and left the field. Spurs probably would have still scored and Chelsea no doubt complain over the delay in taking the corner forgetting they are supposed to be top quality players; it's hardly surprising lower leagues reports all to often refer to defensive errors when there players are that much less competent than those in the Premiership who in the
majority just seem vastly over rated.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Refs making mistakes or being unsighted is one thing, it's when they go bizarre that just makes me laugh.

For instance, this happened last season, defender shepherding the ball over the byline for a goal kick, attacker pushes him with both hands at full force and launches the defender into the hoardings. That's either a foul or a goal kick. Ref gives a corner. :wacko:

As for linesmen...

Here's an example of Scottish refs - from 1:10

View: https://youtu.be/xKuLtLXl7FI

SpokeyDokey

Is that true ? The ball wasn’t in play, so regardless of whether they sent off the player, it still restarts with the corner.

Every team suffers poor decisions at all levels (and Chelsea have benefitted from many over the years), but I agree that the PGMOL needs an overhaul… starting with Mike Riley.

Not sure what you are on about.

The ball was in play and Cucarella was pulled to the ground.

If the foul had been given Chelsea would have had a free kick and Spurs would not have scored.

I agree re Riley - he needs to go.

AndyRM

XOXO
Just been reading about Man Utd signing Casemiro for £70 million. That is absolutely nuts for a 30 year old, and he's going to be on £300k a week for 5 years?

Real must be giggling all the way to the bank, as will he.

I thought Ten Hag was meant to be part of a re-building effort, not signing players at the end of their career for bajillions.

pawl

Legendary Member
What about Leicester City putting an eighty million pound tag on a 23 year old defender
OK Vardy is perhaps coming towards the end of his career but has remained loyal to the Foxes.

Top Bottom