The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My apologies i thought it was the other way round, but the ball was defo in play as per below
View attachment 669781

Ball is in play......therefore its a goal

Ridiculous. The ball is out. Any fan can see that. Any fan would be bitterly aggrieved to see his/her team go out under such circumstances.

The linesman called it out. If the camera can't see that the only place in football for that camera is a bin behind the stadium.

A ridiculous decision and one has to wonder how much it cost.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I agree that it looked to still be in play.

But VAR is only supposed to be for "clear and obvious" errors, and I'm not convinced that was clear enough for that definition.

I hadn't actually seen that shot before though.
I'm sorry but if I was at Ewood on a Saturday afternoon and that was given there'd be a riot and I would join in.

Imagine one's team being champions, promoted, relegated one way or another on that goal.

The ball was out. The linesman had it right. Germany have been robbed.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm sorry but if I was at Ewood on a Saturday afternoon and that was given there'd be a riot and I would join in.

Imagine one's team being champions, promoted, relegated one way or another on that goal.

The ball was out. The linesman had it right. Germany have been robbed.

The ball was not out. The fact you can see grass between the bottom of the ball and the line does not mean it was out.

But the fact that people on here, having seen the same footage, can have different opinions shows (to me) that it was not clear enough for VAR to overturn the decision if they are only to overturn "clear and obvious" errors.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The ball was not out. The fact you can see grass between the bottom of the ball and the line does not mean it was out.

But the fact that people on here, having seen the same footage, can have different opinions shows (to me) that it was not clear enough for VAR to overturn the decision if they are only to overturn "clear and obvious" errors.

Obviously we disagree and that's part of the joy of football. I do agree with the highlighted phrase. Does this though leave a question mark over the purpose and validity of VAR?

I'm 100% with you on the point football is a game with many different opinions. The referee was in a very poor position to call this one, on the edge of the D as shown in the BBC video. We can't see the linesman but if he/she was up with play the view would be better than the referee's and the red flag should be the decision.

I found the image below which supports the ball being in yet there is an opinion VAR couldn't make a decision. That makes no sense. If VAR cannot see this there is no point to it and I'd rather go with a linesman's decision.

Screenshot_20221202-091808_Chrome.jpg

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Obviously we disagree and that's part of the joy of football. I do agree with the highlighted phrase. Does this though leave a question mark over the purpose and validity of VAR?

I'm 100% with you on the point football is a game with many different opinions. The referee was in a very poor position to call this one, on the edge of the D as shown in the BBC video. We can't see the linesman but if he/she was up with play the view would be better than the referee's and the red flag should be the decision.

I found the image below which supports the ball being in yet there is an opinion VAR couldn't make a decision. That makes no sense. If VAR cannot see this there is no point to it and I'd rather go with a linesman's decision.

View attachment 669783

my highlight in bold.....VAR seen this image and deemed the ball in play. It really is that simple

1669973960340.png

The only thing they didnt do was show that image during the replays....if they did, no one would be arguing over it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
At 3:32 "The flag has gone up". And you can see the Japanese players reaction to that.

VAR then overturned that decision.

Having seen the replay numerous times, I don't think the whole of the ball was over the line, but I don't think it was clear enough that the on-field decision should have been overturned.

The flag went up very late, as when the linesman is in frame, he doesn't raise his flag. He also has a very shoot view as the goalpost, keeper and various players are in his way.

I thought it went out watching live, but agree from the high goalpost view it didnt fully cross the line.

technical point the on-field decision wasn't no goal, as the ref makes the decision not the lineman. in fact the ref never really made a decision did he, he signalled hold the play and went to VAR to decide.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The flag went up very late, as when the linesman is in frame, he doesn't raise his flag. He also has a very shoot view as the goalpost, keeper and various players are in his way.

I thought it went out watching live, but agree from the high goalpost view it didnt fully cross the line.

technical point the on-field decision wasn't no goal, as the ref makes the decision not the lineman. in fact the ref never really made a decision did he, he signalled hold the play and went to VAR to decide.

Linesmen seem to be raising their flag up to a month after matches these days :okay:, so play on until VAR and/or the Ref says otherwise is the maxim - much the same as it has always been, really.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
my highlight in bold.....VAR seen this image and deemed the ball in play. It really is that simple

View attachment 669784

The only thing they didnt do was show that image during the replays....if they did, no one would be arguing over it.

If that was along the sideline , the ref or linesman would have flagged whistled for that to be out . What a load of tosh , shame for my second favourite team , Germany . Ahh well still got my favourite still in the tournament.

jowwy

If that was along the sideline , the ref or linesman would have flagged whistled for that to be out . What a load of tosh , shame for my second favourite team , Germany . Ahh well still got my favourite still in the tournament.

yes - based on eyesight it maybe would have been flagged out.......but as a goal was scored, there needed to be a check to make sure, as they do with all goals now.

I remember UTD scoring a goal last season against west ham, after the ball had gone out and back into play from a hoof down the line by luke shaw i think it was ......linesman could not decide whether it was in or out and there was NO VAR camera angle showing the ball went out of play and back into play. Therefore the goal stood and David Moyes was fuming, as he was stood on the line and was raging that the lino didnt put the flag up for ball out of play.

jowwy

Thread drift back to a match earlier in the week. A sort of Ask The Ref question:

If you foul a player while he is outside the pitch boundaries, where should the resultant free-kick be taken?

I would say close to the area he was fouled within the confides of the pitch.

But lets be honest, how many times is a free kick taken in the right spot???

Top Bottom