The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From the closest point on the pitch to where the foul occurred.

So on the touchline? (in this particular case) That's what I would assume.

Didn't happen in this case; players looked rather confused, ref just jogged off to his usual position near the "D", and eventually the attacking side took the freekick from a metre-or-two closer to the goal than they should have!
(No big deal, but they DID gain an advantage ... )

Alex321

Veteran
So on the touchline? (in this particular case) That's what I would assume.

Didn't happen in this case; players looked rather confused, ref just jogged off to his usual position near the "D", and eventually the attacking side took the freekick from a metre-or-two closer to the goal than they should have!
(No big deal, but they DID gain an advantage ... )

True, but as Jowwy says, how many free kicks are actually taken from exactly the correct spot? Or throw-ins for that matter.

It is only free-kicks that are within reasonable shot range where the ref gets out his spray can to mark the spot it should be taken from. Any others, the team will try to gain a bit of advantage, and so long as it isn't too blatant, will usually be allowed to.

True, but as Jowwy says, how many free kicks are actually taken from exactly the correct spot? Or throw-ins for that matter.

It is only free-kicks that are within reasonable shot range where the ref gets out his spray can to mark the spot it should be taken from. Any others, the team will try to gain a bit of advantage, and so long as it isn't too blatant, will usually be allowed to.

You know what? I think you're right.

I was just about to post my letter of complaint to FIFA, so you've saved me a stamp 👍

Brandane

Legendary Member
Germany have been robbed.

Whether or not the VAR/referee decision was correct or not, Germany were not robbed. A team of Germany's standing should not be relying on results in other group games to get them through to the last 16. Germany are out because THEY didn't get the required results, having effed up against Japan and then a draw with Spain.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Whether or not the VAR/referee decision was correct or not, Germany were not robbed. A team of Germany's standing should not be relying on results in other group games to get them through to the last 16. Germany are out because THEY didn't get the required results, having effed up against Japan and then a draw with Spain.

Frankly they were lucky to be in with a shot. Losing your first game and drawing the second should leave you with very little chance of progressing. However Japan losing to Costa Rica brought them right back into it again.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've just seen the slow motion of the Japan winner. You have to laugh really, the true result was a draw not a fraudulent win decided by a TV camera.

Absolutely ridiculous. VAR is simply so bad and a good reason not to watch football. Germany should still be in the World Cup.
The goal was a good one, the overhead view shows part of the ball (And it does not matter how small a part) had not cleared the line therefore the ball was in play.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The goal was a good one, the overhead view shows part of the ball (And it does not matter how small a part) had not cleared the line therefore the ball was in play.

Sorry but I cannot agree. By chance it was shown again on BBC two minutes ago.

People are being paid to give these decisions. It's well known Qatar paid to get the tournament and now money is deciding results.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

If the correct decision had been given Germany's results would have been all that was required to qualify.

notmyrealnamebutclose

I think they've got it wrong, wouldn't it make far more sense if they just used the contact area of
the ball rather than its full radius. That way if you could clearly see any grass between the ball and
the white line the ball is deemed to be out of play.

edit; thinking about it, if the ball is in mid air it's back to square one

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think they've got it wrong, wouldn't it make far more sense if they just used the contact area of
the ball rather than its full radius. That way if you could clearly see any grass between the ball and
the white line the ball is deemed to be out of play.

edit; thinking about it, if the ball is in mid air it's back to square one

Because the rules clearly state that the whole ball must be over the line, therefore the radius of the matters.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sorry but I cannot agree. By chance it was shown again on BBC two minutes ago.

People are being paid to give these decisions. It's well known Qatar paid to get the tournament and now money is deciding results.

So you think the var has been paid off to make a bad decision…even though the pictures show the right decision was made. Talk about conspiracy theories.

Top Bottom