The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
A real let-down of a win in the league though. Apart from the very last one Liverpool won (where I was stuck in a lift while it happened), I'd seen six title wins and when I say six, I don't mean I saw them on the telly or anything, I mean I was in the stadium (Wolves, Stamford Bridge and Anfield) when a captain of Liverpool lifted the title. One time was as mean as filthy Brian Clough could make it because he refused to give the trophy back to the FA claiming he was having it cleaned! Graeme Souness had to lift a trophy made of papier mache instead.

So this one - winning while not even playing - was a particularly shabby way to end the thirty year drought for this title.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
A real let-down of a win in the league though. Apart from the very last one Liverpool won (where I was stuck in a lift while it happened), I'd seen six title wins and when I say six, I don't mean I saw them on the telly or anything, I mean I was in the stadium (Wolves, Stamford Bridge and Anfield) when a captain of Liverpool lifted the title. One time was as mean as filthy Brian Clough could make it because he refused to give the trophy back to the FA claiming he was having it cleaned! Graeme Souness had to lift a trophy made of papier mache instead.

So this one - winning while not even playing - was a particularly shabby way to end the thirty year drought for this title.
how can winning a title by 23pts be shabby..........

PaulB

Legendary Member
It was a travesty - I still can't sleep at nights thinking about it. :laugh:

In what way was it a travesty? When you remember that there would have to have been a sending off for handball and they'd gone down to ten men, any travesty was in Chelsea's favour.

gavgav

Guru

Not sure shabby is the word I’d use, after this season! Considering 3 months ago I thought Covid had stopped us winning it, I’ll take it.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Not sure shabby is the word I’d use, after this season! Considering 3 months ago I thought Covid had stopped us winning it, I’ll take it.

We'll all take it but look at what some of our fans have felt the need to do: to commune with like-minded spirits to find some way of celebrating as best they can under extremely trying conditions. Shabby is exactly the emotion I'm feeling so I'm standing by it. It's like the difference between honeymoon connubial bliss with one's bride and a bout of guilty onanism. If the lockdown had only come two weeks later or if we'd beaten Elton John's lads, we'd have been there to see it happen but thirty years of hurt relived like that was the least ecstatic way of bringing it home to where it belongs.

It's not so much for myself because I've seen it plenty of times but particularly for my eldest son who's never seen or witnessed the sheer joy of our boys running round the pitch with our rightful trophy. Years and years of laps of honour (or dis-honour as we called some of them) at the last home match where his sacrifices had come to nothing (okay, there were UEFA cups, league cups, FA cups and European cups aplenty for him but the righteous one was always missing).

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
It is certainly a flat end to the season. Watching televised matches in empty stadiums is a rather soul less experience and the players seem to lack their normal urgency too.

I absolutely agree with the lack of urgency. Some of the Villa players need a cattle prod up the *rse to get them going. I can deal with relegation again, what I cannot abide are players who give up when we go a goal down i.e. against Wolves, its as if they think the are on the training ground still.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Little did I know, as a 13 year old Liverpool fan, that I’d wait another 30 years to see them lift a league title, after winning it in 1990. Massively deserved, a wonderful season.
I was priviledged to see them live in the 60s/70s/80s when they "swept all before them".
My wish for years was for my son to see them win the league.
So......yes, my wish has come about but its a bit flat.
It will be memorable but for some sad reasons.

Top Bottom