The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stanley Matthews played top level football at the age of 50.
Yeah. But I suspect that he had a pair of magic boots like Billy in the Tiger/Scorcher comic strip.

PaulB

Legendary Member
How will the Manchester City - Real Madrid game go ahead without the ramifications affecting the sport?

Anyone from Britain going to Spain has to go into a 14 day quarantine on return. Now we hear they've lifted that particular requirement for Man City but yesterday, Manchester itself imposed increased lockdown restrictions so how will the Spaniards sidestep that one?

Dave7

Legendary Member
So Eddie Howe has left the building.
Sad really but expected.
Question is how do they replace him?
I read the ground only holds 11,000 so how can they attract or afford good players?

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
So Eddie Howe has left the building.
Sad really but expected.
Question is how do they replace him?
I read the ground only holds 11,000 so how can they attract or afford good players?
Shame, I like Eddie but I don't think he will be out of work for long. Bournemouth have been overachieving for a good while now and it was mostly due to him. He had them playing some pretty decent football a couple of years back. If Eddie lands a job at a wealthier club I think he will do well.

I see Ake is being sold, so Bournemouth will have at least £41 million to play with, but they might need that if they have players on decent money and they have dropped to the Championship. Unless there were clauses in their contracts to reduce their pay if relegated, the club might struggle and have to use part of that £41 million.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Shame, I like Eddie but I don't think he will be out of work for long. Bournemouth have been overachieving for a good while now and it was mostly due to him. He had them playing some pretty decent football a couple of years back. If Eddie lands a job at a wealthier club I think he will do well.

I see Ake is being sold, so Bournemouth will have at least £41 million to play with, but they might need that if they have players on decent money and they have dropped to the Championship. Unless there were clauses in their contracts to reduce their pay if relegated, the club might struggle and have to use part of that £41 million.

If Aston Villa get off to a bad start I could see the possibility of Howe replacing Dean Smith at christmas. Smith is going to have to do a lot better this season if he is to remain manager at Villa Park.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
To be fair Howe was a "comfortable fit" at Bournemouth. His brief spell away at Burnley didn't yield great things.

You do find some managers "have a place" so to speak and going somewhere else doesn't fit, I suppose Nathan Jones would be another that springs to mind and the Cowley bros at Lincoln.
Also John Coleman at Accrington. He was poor at Rochdale after leaving Stanley,fancying his chances a division higher,but after coming back he keeps Accy afloat year after year.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
To be fair Howe was a "comfortable fit" at Bournemouth. His brief spell away at Burnley didn't yield great things.

You do find some managers "have a place" so to speak and going somewhere else doesn't fit, I suppose Nathan Jones would be another that springs to mind and the Cowley bros at Lincoln.
Indeed. Since coming back he has ensured Luton's survival, when it looked to be a lost cause. 16 points from the last 9 games from a team that was rock bottom.

Eddie Howe for Villa seems like a good shout, but what squad will he inherit? Seems to me that selling Grealish might be a problem there.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Good point and well made. I blame tiredness
What, he signed for the wrong club tiredness? You get a lot of that when a good player signs for them. Especially the one who informed me in a hospital that he would rebuff their offer. Two days later, he signed for them! He must have been knackered!

PaulB

Legendary Member
One good piece of news on the football front today, they're scrapping the five substitutions farce! Water breaks have got to stop. Can you imagine water breaks in the freezing sleet of a Wednesday night in January? While we're on a roll, the death of football otherwise known as VAR has to be consigned to the dustbin of stupid ideas as well.

Top Bottom