The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Needing a stoppage time penalty to beat Iceland by the national side of 'The Best League in the World' (or whatever it's going by these days) is pretty embarrassing.

Needing a stoppage time penalty to beat Iceland by the national side of 'The Best League in the World' (or whatever it's going by these days) is pretty embarrassing.
The last 5 mins were quite hilarious at least, don't fancy us v Belgium.

PaulB

Legendary Member
And in other football news, West Ham are on the verge of signing Mr Messi. If successful they'll also sign Mr Happi,Mr Tidi,Mr Fussi and any other available Mr Man.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not meaningless to me, my country means more to me than any franchise, sorry football club where a great majority of the fans have no affinity to the town / city where the business, sorry football club is based.
The international game is just as much of a business as it's club counterpart. Why else do you think the FA haven't told FIFA to stick the Dubai World Cup, a tournament gained by bribery where slave labourers died in appalling working conditions building the stadiums? Then there was the BBC investigation which found widespread corruption in FIFA. The FA were begging the BBC to can the show in case it scuppered England's chances of holding the tournament they were bidding for at the time. Those were purely about money, as is there insistance on having England games played at the souless Wembley stadium where they can make a fortune from selling corporate boxes to people whose only interest is being seen in the right places rather than taking the games around the country where the real fans can see the national side.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Not meaningless to me, my country means more to me than any franchise, sorry football club where a great majority of the fans have no affinity to the town / city where the business, sorry football club is based.
They are meaningless. Especially this Nations League nonsense. And they stop the flow of the meaningFULL leagues, stop all activity there, get misshapen squads together to force players to play out of their natural position to suit the national press and then send them back to their bread-and-butter leagues with a disdainful lack of care. We lost several good players to injuries picked up at national clubs they were only interested in playing for to increase their commercial worth. Virtually everyone I can hear around me in the stand in which I sit (more often stand nowadays) and hear under the concourse have great affinity to the town where the club is based. You can hear that in their accents.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member

My club will always come before the England football team. I agree with SJ the national team business model is no different to club football, its about money and lots of it. My father was a massive Villa fan, yet I was born in Nottingham and spent many years in the East Midlands, my love for The Vile was passed on to me from him, who you support is not just about the town/city you was born into or who you have an affinity to, there can be many reasons. I now live a couple a couple of miles from Villa Park which is handy when I have had a few to many :cheers:

Stephenite

Membå

AndyRM

XOXO

Is this a cry for help from Chris Waddle? Or has he been hitting the glue?

Top Bottom