The Fridays London Ride - Windows and Death - 29th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianmac62

Guru
That nice (FSVO nice) Mr. Portaloo has just been on BBC4 talking about the London Necropolis Railway. Not a patch on dellz obviously, but interesting enough. On an iplayer near you soon. Look for Great British Railway Journeys.
That's been on before - several times. And, as Tim says, intetesting enough.

Much more interesting is to attend a lecture by Prof Hilary Grainger. She's the current Chair of the Victorian Society and is giving lectures up and down the country on "Victorian Cemeteries and Crematoria". She is the world's leading expert on Victorian crematoria (she's pretty good on cemeteries too). Canada, Australia & NZ too. Coming to a lecture room near you!

ianmac62

Guru
During these dull days between the ride of 29th December and the reunion of 1st March, I return to white flat-roofed houses. And, for your delectation, the story of Peter Behrens (Head of the School of Modern Architecture in Vienna) and "New Ways", a house in Wellingborough Road, Northampton.

The driving force was a man called W J (Wenman Joseph) Bassett-Lowke who built up a business in model engineering. His model railways, mostly in "0" gauge (compared to Frank Hornby's "00" or Dublo gauge), were produced from the 1920s to the 1960s.

Thanks to the work of a local trust, WJ's house at 78 Derngate, Northampton, is well known as the only house in England whose interior was largely designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Closed to visitors in the winter months, this is the outside which gives only a little hint, in the style of the door, of the treasures within. So far, so well known.

Bassett-Lowke had hired Rennie Mackintosh in 1916 but, when the war was over, WJ decided to build himself a new house in a completely modern style. This house, because it is still privately owned, is little known beyond a black-and-white photo and a description by Pevsner in his volume for Northamptonshire (1961, rev 1973). It also appears dwarfed by its later neighbours.

Through the Werkbund Jahrbuch, WJ knew of the factories and other buildings in Berlin, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt designed before the war by Peter Behrens. He wrote to Behrens in Vienna and they agreed to meet in Paris. WJ took his builder with him to the meeting as Behrens made clear he would not visit Northampton.

By 1926 the house was built. Here is a view of the front, or entrance, side. The photographer for the Pevsner volume must have stood on the same spot on the pavement. Here is a detail of the front side, the triangular projecting staircase window. Pevsner described this as "a completely new style of architecture then entirely untried in Britain ... How revolutionary this style must have appeared at the time ..." So far, so Google Street View.

Pevsner goes on to say that "how prophetic it was of the future ... can only be seen from the garden side." He didn't include a photograph of this facade. But the garden does back on to Abington Park. Strolling through the park with my bicycle did not offer a promising view. The fences and vegetation are high. An old bicycle, however, can double as a ladder.

One is rewarded with a view of the garden side, a "two-storied facade ... divided into three parts, with the centre recessed."

Peter Behrens provided decorative schemes for the lounge and the dining room, although the dining table and chairs came from 78 Derngate, as did the furniture, also designed by Mackintosh, for the study and the main bedroom. The two blended well, noted Pevsner, owing to the remarkable fact that Mackintosh had turned quite independently from his exquisite Art Nouveau to a private Expressionism. The whole was featured in an article in "The Architectural Review" in 1926 and again in "Decoration of the House Beautiful" in 1932.

Pevsner concludes, "One does not know what to admire more, Mr Bassett-Lowke's discrimination in engaging Mackintosh ... or his courage in engaging Behrens."

ianmac62

Guru
I need help with this next architectural observation! Returning to Northampton town centre down Towcester Road after a ride today (we cycled up this road at the start of Adam's first Northampton-to-London ride), I stopped to photograph two houses which a friend who grew up in the area told me were the only houses built in a proposed Northampton Garden Suburb. Presumably this was in the 1920s? They looked to me like William Morris’s Red House arrived in Northampton, perhaps via Philip Webb’s Worship Mews. Here’s the most striking bit of their Arts & Crafts inheritance:
IMGP5686.JPG

with a detail
IMGP5688.JPG
and here is its next door neighbour:
IMGP5683.JPG
Anybody help me out? Pevsner doesn't mention them at all. Google provides no clues. I have added "visit the Local Studies Collection at the town centre library" to my task list.

ianmac62

Guru
I have discovered that these two houses were part of a "Delapre Garden Village" proposed by Thomas Adams, the first paid British planning official as Secretary of the Garden City Association. From 1902 to 1905 he was the Manager of the first British Garden City in Letchworth. In 1906 he became closely involved in the establishment of town planning and by 1914 he was regarded as the head of the planning profession in Britain. His papers, including a photocopy of the map of the proposed garden village in Northampton, are held by the University of Liverpool.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I need help with this next architectural observation! Returning to Northampton town centre down Towcester Road after a ride today (we cycled up this road at the start of Adam's first Northampton-to-London ride), I stopped to photograph two houses which a friend who grew up in the area told me were the only houses built in a proposed Northampton Garden Suburb. Presumably this was in the 1920s? They looked to me like William Morris’s Red House arrived in Northampton, perhaps via Philip Webb’s Worship Mews. Here’s the most striking bit of their Arts & Crafts inheritance:
View attachment 18788

with a detail View attachment 18789 and here is its next door neighbour: View attachment 18790 Anybody help me out? Pevsner doesn't mention them at all. Google provides no clues. I have added "visit the Local Studies Collection at the town centre library" to my task list.

They did magic things with the roof tiles, didn't they? Like pulling a hat down on your head against the rain.

ianmac62

Guru
Something for some of us tomorrow morning on Radio 4: "Lenin in Letchworth" 11.00 a.m. The programme picks up on the rumour that, while in London for the 1907 Conference, Vladimir paid a visit to the garden city.

Top Bottom