The Fridays London Ride - Windows and Death - 29th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

So...

That was extremely good fun. Thanks one and all. My sister enjoyed it too, despite freezing and putting on all the clothes we'd brought. She lives in Sydney, where it's a bit warmer I believe. Anyhow, I was at my grate frend Frank's house this evening and was filling him with tales of architects, bike rides, arts and crafts and so on. And he pointed out that Philip Webb, of Worship Street fame, lived a stone's throw from where we were sitting, in a house called Caxtons. We've even cycled past it, on the gentle way up to Turners Hill. Linky to Google Maps Street View. You can see the Blue plaque.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
And The Poverty of Philosophy was his first statement on the materialist foundation of history.

I've put the mug back into everyday use!
not the Paris Manuscripts?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
So...

That was extremely good fun. Thanks one and all. My sister enjoyed it too, despite freezing and putting on all the clothes we'd brought. She lives in Sydney, where it's a bit warmer I believe. Anyhow, I was at my grate frend Frank's house this evening and was filling him with tales of architects, bike rides, arts and crafts and so on. And he pointed out that Philip Webb, of Worship Street fame, lived a stone's throw from where we were sitting, in a house called Caxtons. We've even cycled past it, on the gentle way up to Turners Hill. Linky to Google Maps Street View. You can see the Blue plaque.

I've just had a terrifying thought... Is this going to start a new tradition where the "locals" for each ride have to bone up on all the local history? I can do Ewenny ( Cap Goch), Lynnette White ( she was murdered near the start of Cardiff-Swansea),"Rosebud" at St Donat's and the World's first railway at Mumbles, but after that I'm stumped.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've just had a terrifying thought... Is this going to start a new tradition where the "locals" for each ride have to bone up on all the local history? I can do Ewenny ( Cap Goch), Lynnette White ( she was murdered near the start of Cardiff-Swansea),"Rosebud" at St Donat's and the World's first railway at Mumbles, but after that I'm stumped.
we can all do the Mumbles Railway after five pints at the Pilot........

Thanks to Simon, Ian and the Fridays for a great day out.

The most enlightening spot for me was Worship Mews:

60.jpg

MyBlog
MyPhotos

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Oh no, which one? There's a couple of crackers round there, theveuston tap in the grounds for one, which has a tremendous stock list
It was The Rocket on Euston Road.
We'd tried the Euston Tap but it was closed and the other pubs I knew didn't have suitable bike parking (ie we couldn't see them when we were inside).
Since it was pouring down, we just piled into the 1st suitable place.
It was a place but, ultimately, it wasn't suitable.

ChrisBailey

Thanks to Simon, Ian and the Fridays for a great day out.

The most enlightening spot for me was Worship Mews:

60.jpg

MyBlog
MyPhotos

Great photos Els, maybe you don't need an S95

ianmac62

Guru
Ian - I'm decoding a 'lost' novel by Ilf and Petrov. It would appear that this very linoleum was used to conceal the Zinoviev Shopping List ....
DZ - I've just bought tickets for a production of Gogol's "Marriage" at The Belgrade in Coventry. Turns out that this is "referenced" (as I think people say these days) in Ilf and Petrov's "Twelve Chairs".

Tim Hall

That nice (FSVO nice) Mr. Portaloo has just been on BBC4 talking about the London Necropolis Railway. Not a patch on dellz obviously, but interesting enough. On an iplayer near you soon. Look for Great British Railway Journeys.

Top Bottom