The Fridays London Ride - Windows and Death - 29th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally got round to uploading some photos

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Fab photos Clarion! I wondered if we could add this to the album - my how the Met Police have moved forward, way ahead of The West Midlands Police!! :laugh:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-20717022

So sorry you couldnt be there CharlieB - you were definitely on the list of peeps who was missed (and not just by those who were Pi&&ed!)

Happy New Year to you :bravo:

Mice :hello:

Attachments

• The Met ahead of West Midlands Force.jpg
    The Met ahead of West Midlands Force.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 52

ianmac62

Guru
Sorry it has taken me so long to get around to expressing my appreciation of Saturday's ride. Many thanks to DZ!

Now there's a silly footnote and a serious footnote. First the silly one: when the Marx Memorial Library was short of cash, it sold key-rings:

Keyring 2.jpg

And mugs:

Mug 2.jpg

and, of course, busts:

IMG_0965 2.jpg

ianmac62

Guru
Footnote 2 is slightly more serious in that the Marx Memorial Library and Philip Webb's terraced workshops and dwellings in Worship Street are closely connected through a bust:

This is a bust of William Morris which is in the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow:

IMG_0828 2.jpg

Morris was the close friend of Webb. Compare Webb's work at Worship Street and Red House (Morris's first house with Jane Burden after their marriage):

IMGP5636 2.jpg
and

2004_0904_165459AA North-east aspect 2.jpg

Now, when Lenin sought the Twentieth Century Press's help in printing Iskra, that Press - an offshoot of the Social Democratic Federation - had rented 37a Clerkenwell Green (now the Marx Memorial Library) and William Morris had stood as guarantor!

One more connection: the motto of the Clarion Cycling Club - "Fellowship Is Life" - is another of William Morris's declarations!

ianmac62

Guru
Were the mugs as boldly-priced as the hallowed lino? OK, He didn't bring them to his lips but I'll bet they didn't come cheap.

You wouldn't expect a Marxist to drink out of anything less than bone china, would you? So I paid £8.95 for mine back in 1998 or 1999.

If you thought the frontage of the Library looking remarkably well preserved, then you should know that it was restored with lottery/millennium funding.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You wouldn't expect a Marxist to drink out of anything less than bone china, would you? So I paid £8.95 for mine back in 1998 or 1999.

If you thought the frontage of the Library looking remarkably well preserved, then you should know that it was restored with lottery/millennium funding.
I'm surprised they didn't flog Lenin champagne flutes....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Worship Street and the Red House are acknowledged by Architects with a capital A to be a step along the road from the formality of the late Baroque to Modernism. What they don't always acknowledge is that they are a significant step along the road to the dominant building type in modern day London - the three bedroom semi.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Some great photos from that day, I dont even remember posing for them...

But yes, nice lil ride and catch up with everyone and so thank you Dell & IanMac for the tour and info and everyone for the great company.

And am now on a diet and the way I am looking in photos is shocking! I swear my bikes look tiny when am on them.. Am only little you know.. ;)

Top Bottom