The Fridays Tour 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this might get moved to 'Touring' but, if the Mods will indulge me for a few seconds, I'll try and explain myself

I've long thought that CC had within it the makings of a good tour. And, by good tour, I mean something along the lines of the FNRttC, but stretched out a bit. Instead of a night out on wheels, a day out on wheels, or several days out on wheels.

The idea would be to pootle along at conversational pace, starting early in the morning, stopping for brekky after twenty miles or so, continuing another thirty miles and then stopping for a late elevenses, and then doing another thirty miles and stopping for a late lunch. Then contemplation of life's pleasures in great company. There might be space for a midnight start, and, maybe, some night riding en route.

80 miles a day is pretty do-able if you don't weigh yourself down with all kinds of stuff. This would be a pension/B+B/Formule 1 type of thing

A tour of some distance would enable people to join in for part of the way. I think that the overall length of the tour would be between ten days and three weeks, but if people wanted to join in for a few days then that would be fine.

I've two thoughts on the route. The first is LEJoG. This would go south of Bristol and then east of the Pennines and then up to Edinburgh and on to the 'old A9'. A shorter alternative would be London to John O'Groats, which is a great ride, but I'd imagine that a fair few folk would like to tick the LEJoG box.

The second is London to Napoli. This would go to Newhaven, Dieppe, Paris, Lyon, over the Alps and down the Ligurian coast, take a diversion to Rome and then head south to the Bay of Naples.

I think that May/June would be good. Italy would be fearsome hot, but if we did most of our riding before noon we'd not be too uncomfortable.

There'd be a bit of organisation involved. Accommodation would have to be found and booked. I'd be up for that.

I'd welcome comments.

frank9755

Cyclist
Friday night ride to the amalfi coast!
Sounds wonderful; I'd be up for it.

Big tours really aren't an option for me until the boys are big enough to be abandoned. And I'm always restricted by ony being able to do stuff in school holidays to start off with. But I'm quite efficient at providing cake stops, if your route goes nearby.

gbs

Guru
Intriguing; I like the dip in/dip out possibilty. May/June looks good - before the peak holiday travel and summer heat. I will watch this topic.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Quite interested in LEJoG at an 80 mile a day pace.
Did a JoGLE last year at 50 miles/day and would have much preferred to ride further each day, but was constrained by other members of the party (youngest was only 13, so can't complain too much)

Love the idea of going to Italy though.

Or even a "round" in France/Belgium , say a quick flat run down the west coast to the Dordogne, across to the Ventoux, and back through the Jura / Vosges / Ardennes. Just so as not have the hassle of shipping bikes back ....

ChrisBailey

The second is London to Napoli. This would go to Newhaven, Dieppe, Paris, Lyon, over the Alps and down the Ligurian coast, take a diversion to Rome and then head south to the Bay of Naples.

I think that May/June would be good. Italy would be fearsome hot, but if we did most of our riding before noon we'd not be too uncomfortable.

There'd be a bit of organisation involved. Accommodation would have to be found and booked. I'd be up for that.

I'd welcome comments.

Simon, this is the kind of cycling holiday I arrange each year (Pyrenees ths year). So I'll register my interest.

I suspect LEJOG would allow people to join in and the logistics are a factor more easier and Italian drivers are scary, but I'd still vote for Italy (via France, which is fantastic as I think everyone would agree).

Chris

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Both ideas are splendid. Even though I'm doing a LeJOG in a few weeks, the 'been there done that' factor wouldn't put me off. And Italy? For cycling? Surely not! :smile: I'd have to say though, my own preference would be for Tuscany...the delights of Florence & perhaps the opportunity to visit my favourite bike maker.

Support could be quite easy: One van to act as luggage carrier/sag wagon, everyone chips in for fuel costs etc.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I was very impressed by the area around Milan.... lunatic Italian drivers, but they calm down instantly a cycling paceline comes in to view, and give plenty of space to the cyclist.

StuartG

slower but further
I have a tendency to ride the wrong side of the road so heading south would appeal to me.

Except not being the hardened type for whom an alpine pass before breakfast is a welcome appetiser - going the whole hog to Napoli is kinda a bit too adventurous (and exactly how many D-locks do you carry in case you can't jump a traffic light there?)

I was thinking if there could be a wimps only option to maybe cut off in France and return by some sort of triangular route to take in an extra wine growing/drinking district or three? Could still be a thousand mile/kilometer/litre trip ...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I talked this through with Becs, Luke and Davy on Sunday, and it occured to me that there is a point at which a van, laden with tents and spares, would become economic.

If, for example, you costed B+B at £40 a night and camping at £10 a night then that's a considerable saving if you had twelve or fifteen people. Camping isn't everybody's cup of tea (I name no names) and eleven nights of camping in succession might bring out the Tent Peg Assassin in some of us, but if a van and driver were to cost £150 a day then you'd have scope for mixing camping with B+B. You'd also be able to put spare wheels and so on in the van.

How about Lands End - Launceston - Bridgewater - Moreton in the Marsh - Bingham - York in five days?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I rode from Brighton to Bologna a couple of years ago, fully loaded with camping and minor cooking gear. 50 miles per day was enough on a 3 or 4 week ride as far as I'm concerned. Hard enough but allows for minor tourist stops, drinks breaks and anything else.

It's worth bearing in mind that campsites aren't cheap in Italy - we paid between 15 and 30 euros per night for a 2 man tent. If you were to share tents it would reduce the cost per person and might lead to an interesting evening sweepstake.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I'd be up for a LEJoG. I wanted to do it solo this year, but when I sat down and did the money sums, it was going to cost more arms and legs than I have.:sad:
Perhaps the economies of scale for a larger group would make it more affordable?

Italy a fab idea, too.

Top Bottom