The Fridays Tour 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I talked this through with Becs, Luke and Davy on Sunday, and it occured to me that there is a point at which a van, laden with tents and spares, would become economic.

If, for example, you costed B+B at £40 a night and camping at £10 a night then that's a considerable saving if you had twelve or fifteen people. Camping isn't everybody's cup of tea (I name no names) and eleven nights of camping in succession might bring out the Tent Peg Assassin in some of us, but if a van and driver were to cost £150 a day then you'd have scope for mixing camping with B+B. You'd also be able to put spare wheels and so on in the van.

How about Lands End - Launceston - Bridgewater - Moreton in the Marsh - Bingham - York in five days?

Any more than two nights, I reckon. Any more than zero if it's pissing with rain. I'm up for the tour, though. Love the Italy idea, but I'd be in for an English jaunt, in which case I'm quite a fan of hostels. Wouldn't mind giving 80 miles a day a go if not carrying much, but the odd day off could be good if it's a long tour - I'd join in for as much as I could afford. If it's in this country I might be able to volunteer a van.

rb58

Enigma
I'm supposedly doing LeJog next year with a friend, however, his plans seem to be..... fluid....... so I would be interested in this as an alternative.

That would make me a possible maybe!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
up for some/any sort of tour en masse certainly, not so keen on camping though. A LEJoG with the FNRttC massive, now that would be doing it in style, but the journey is more important than the destination...

frank9755

Cyclist
A few more thoughts.
My first choice would be France and Italy. I think Naples is a great destination. 80 miles per day is also a good distance assuming ppl are travelling light. Ctc tours tend to be shorter and there are some early finishes.
I rode through France last may (80 miles per day with camping gear) was great cycling, much better than the UK. Wd love to do Italy. For camping Wd need to be a bit less distance per day for a group.
Lejog has always struck me as a box-ticking exercise, with lots of transport hassles so wd be my last choice I prefer rides from home (as it happens I'm writing from a campsite in dorset on my way to LE) ,
Not so keen on supported as it just feels wrong. Like to carry my own gear / be self sufficient.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
up for some/any sort of tour en masse certainly, not so keen on camping though. A LEJoG with the FNRttC massive, now that would be doing it in style, but the journey is more important than the destination...

Get drunk and go round the Isle of Wight a few times Blackadder style?

david1701

I talked this through with Becs, Luke and Davy on Sunday, and it occured to me that there is a point at which a van, laden with tents and spares, would become economic.

If, for example, you costed B+B at £40 a night and camping at £10 a night then that's a considerable saving if you had twelve or fifteen people. Camping isn't everybody's cup of tea (I name no names) and eleven nights of camping in succession might bring out the Tent Peg Assassin in some of us, but if a van and driver were to cost £150 a day then you'd have scope for mixing camping with B+B. You'd also be able to put spare wheels and so on in the van.

How about Lands End - Launceston - Bridgewater - Moreton in the Marsh - Bingham - York in five days?

I love the sound of Italy but its likely beyond me (we'll see how training goes :biggrin:) if you went for the short one I'd probably muck in LE-Bridgewater and the run home alone

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A few more thoughts.
My first choice would be France and Italy. I think Naples is a great destination. 80 miles per day is also a good distance assuming ppl are travelling light. Ctc tours tend to be shorter and there are some early finishes.
I rode through France last may (80 miles per day with camping gear) was great cycling, much better than the UK. Wd love to do Italy. For camping Wd need to be a bit less distance per day for a group.
Lejog has always struck me as a box-ticking exercise, with lots of transport hassles so wd be my last choice I prefer rides from home (as it happens I'm writing from a campsite in dorset on my way to LE) ,
Not so keen on supported as it just feels wrong. Like to carry my own gear / be self sufficient.
It is often precisely that, but it could be so much more. If the company is right, the route is right (and that, of course, depends on what 'right' is) and there's an opportunity to drink in some of the culture and history then it could be a very fine cycle ride.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It is often precisely that, but it could be so much more. If the company is right, the route is right (and that, of course, depends on what 'right' is) and there's an opportunity to drink in some of the culture and history then it could be a very fine cycle ride.

sorted for priorities

It is often precisely that, but it could be so much more. If the company is right, the route is right (and that, of course, depends on what 'right' is) and there's an opportunity to drink in some of the pubs full of culture and history then it could be a very fine cycle ride.

sorted for priorities

An all-inclusive stance. (I know you rugby types don't care too much, as long as there is an abundance of free-flowing, quick setting amnesia available.)

frank9755

Cyclist
Can't do quotes on my mobile gadget but re DZs comment ref my comment on LEJoG, I'm sure it cd be great ride but its just that the logistics are messy. It's always easier to do something else. That may be easier for a group, but even so it will still take a day when you could be heading south to where cyling is more joyous!
Id still come if it was LEJOG but I just think Naples Wd be better!

Top Bottom