The Fridays Tour 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I had given this some thought. It's not the first eighty miles to Launceston that bothers me so much as the Launceston to Exter stretch (once through Exeter the road on to Bridgewater is a lot of fun). It seemed to me (and this isn't a plan, merely a thought) that an early hours start from Launceston, leading to an extended breakfast in Exeter, an extended lunch in Taunton and an extended high tea in Bridgewater might be good....

Launceston to Exeter isn't bad at all, I'd go so far as to say it is a delight, if you simply keep off the A30 and use the 'old' road instead. It is described here in another place by the splendid Mick F of the CTC. I've ridden it both ways in August. Proper Job.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
And all that sounds amazing to a newbie to this kind of adventure. What accommodation would be envisaged at those interval points?

Night rides, perhaps saved for the less spectacular and / or more dangerous sections?
that's the big question. A double room in a hotel costs (say) £60 in Tow Law and over £110 in Moreton in Marsh. Some people aren't going to want to pay that. They might prefer to pay £50 for a double in a B&B, or even £13 for a two person tent. They might want to mix it up a bit - camp at Moreton (there's a combined B+B and campsite near to the town), hotel in Tow Law - but, to make that work you really could do with a bit of support.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Launceston to Exeter isn't bad at all, I'd go so far as to say it is a delight, if you simply keep off the A30 and use the 'old' road instead. It is described here in another place by the splendid Mick F of the CTC. I've ridden it both ways in August. Proper Job.
I wouldn't dream of doing any group ride through Devon without consulting the splenditious Mick F. Apart from anything else he's mates with my brother.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Where's Tow Law? You're not planning on going over Carter Bar, are you? If you are I WANT TO COME TOO!!!
it's an option. TC has a different option, and one that I need to know about. I do think thought that riding a laden touring bike from Corbridge to the junction with the A696 would be very hard work indeed, and that it would be a bit previous to make a decision before having some idea of who was coming.....

fimm

Veteran
it's an option. TC has a different option, and one that I need to know about. I do think thought that riding a laden touring bike from Corbridge to the junction with the A696 would be very hard work indeed, and that it would be a bit previous to make a decision before having some idea of who was coming.....

Not to mention the bit from the junction with the A696 to the top of Carter Bar... which is the part of the road that I know, having grown up down the A696 a bit with grandparents in Scotland.

I'm not a serious candiate for the tour BTW, just being nosey. I would love to cycle over Carter Bar sometime, though, that would be fantastic.

david1701

they could, but with something like due deference to your part of the world, the story of the ride is that Cornwall is the beginning. There's something definitive about Lands End, for all that the building is a bit of a non-event. Thought of as a story views of the sea are about the end of the ride, rather than the beginning, and the crossing of the Forth, Dornoch Firth and the run down to the sea at Golspie are hints of arrival. Going via (say) Bude is kind of like saying you haven't left.

The journey from Lands End to John O'Groats is about going through the country, appreciating the make up of the geography both physical and human. Launceston, Camborne, Redruth and Bodmin are, in their own way, important, besides being markers along the way. Moreton in Marsh, Gunthorpe, Selby, Tow Law, Corbridge, Jedburgh and the like mark out the route just as much as the big cities like Leicester, York and Edinburgh and the geographical features like the Cotswolds, the River Trent, Carter Bar and the Ord of Caithness.

I'm with you its more about building the journey than just travelling on nice roads, seems counter intuitive but makes sense after I re read it :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Where's Tow Law? You're not planning on going over Carter Bar, are you? If you are I WANT TO COME TOO!!!

As a child I spent every school holiday in Co. Durham,, with the Aged P's childless brother and his wife, and would regularly cycle from Craghead to Tow Law by way of Burnhope and Lanchester in my early teens. I bet I've not been to/through Tow Law in 30 years.....

Headley Hill, Headley Hope, Sunniside, Quaking Houses, New Kyo, Annfield Plain, High Stoop, Macari's Ice Cream, Dandelion & Burdock, Tudor Crisps, stotties, your question has sparked a tidal wave of memories and provoked a lump in my throat.

I wouldn't dream of doing any group ride through Devon without consulting the splenditious Mick F. Apart from anything else he's mates with my brother.

He is though isn't he..? A complete and utter star.

U

User482

Dell, I won't be able to come touring next year, but I'd be happy to lead a group through north Somerset/ Bristol/ South Gloucs. I can keep you to quiet(ish) back roads that are nonetheless reasonably direct. And, more importantly advise on pubs in Bristol.

I kept a diary of sorts when I did LEJOG a couple of years back, so I have a list of roads best avoided.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Dell, I won't be able to come touring next year, but I'd be happy to lead a group through north Somerset/ Bristol/ South Gloucs. I can keep you to quiet(ish) back roads that are nonetheless reasonably direct. And, more importantly advise on pubs in Bristol.

This must be what he meant when he said progress through Bristol would be interesting but slow...

frank9755

Cyclist
On the subject of the superlative MickF, I met him today! Descending into gunnislake someone said hello and some short introductions allowed me to guess his identity. He rode with me for a while, which gave him the chance to give me some ditrections and allowed me to thank him in person for all the help he's given me on the internet! Really nice chap, in real life as well as virtually.

Sounds like most people want to do LEJoG but, if people are wavering, here are a few reasons why heading south is attractive.
The weather is better and gets better each day
Food is better. Much better.
Hotels are cheaper
Roads are less busy
Drivers more considerate to cyclists
France is easier to get to than lands end.
Anywhere is easier to get back from than jog
Going abroad is more of an adventure
UK hills are ok but theres nothing like getting your teeth into a proper 1000m climb up an alpine col
There's as much history, and interesting geography in France / Italy as the UK - just we don't know it so well.
There are loads of LEJoG tours already so its hardly original or uniqe - the IBM of cycle tours :-)

martint235

Dog on a bike
On the subject of the superlative MickF, I met him today! Descending into gunnislake someone said hello and some short introductions allowed me to guess his identity. He rode with me for a while, which gave him the chance to give me some ditrections and allowed me to thank him in person for all the help he's given me on the internet! Really nice chap, in real life as well as virtually.

Sounds like most people want to do LEJoG but, if people are wavering, here are a few reasons why heading south is attractive.
The weather is better and gets better each day
Food is better. Much better.
Hotels are cheaper
Roads are less busy
Drivers more considerate to cyclists
France is easier to get to than lands end.
Anywhere is easier to get back from than jog
Going abroad is more of an adventure
UK hills are ok but theres nothing like getting your teeth into a proper 1000m climb up an alpine col
There's as much history, and interesting geography in France / Italy as the UK - just we don't know it so well.
There are loads of LEJoG tours already so its hardly original or uniqe - the IBM of cycle tours :-)

I'm definitely more in favour of south. It is as Frank says more of an adventure. However, my vote counts for nothing really until I can arrange some funding. :sad:

Top Bottom