The Fridays Tour 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I took the cycle path fro Glasgow to loch lomond, it was covered in glass as already pointed out. The path from there is nicer than the busy road but doesn't take you all that far as I recall.

the subject of some research. The trouble with all this stuff is that there is really only one way to sort it. You have to go and 'spread the love'. I have a daughter in Glasgow, and I thought I'd go up for a couple of days and give it a go.

I have a friend up there currently who is well up for this, if you want some local input - he was very enthused when I mentioned it to him yesterday.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have a friend up there currently who is well up for this, if you want some local input - he was very enthused when I mentioned it to him yesterday.
sounds good - would you pm me his e-mail address, or send him mine?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I took the path from Glasgow to Balloch on the shores of Lomond a few weekends ago. There is more broken glass outside my house.

frank9755

Cyclist
I suspect the A82 would be fine at night but, as you say, someone needs to ride it to find out.
Last weekend I didn't ride from Glasgow however, around 2am, I spent 20 minutes waiting at Crianlarich in sight of the A82/A83 junction and in that time not one single car passed the junction in any direction.

From Crianlarich onwards the A83 is a great road to cycle. Some gentle climbs but nothing steep, and a glorious long downhill to Dalmally. A bit of a climb to Oban, then a sweeping descent into town. Perhaps one car every 20 minutes through night. The only problem is that the road surface is, in some places, in an appalling condition.

This won't be a surprise to McW, but the summer nights are very short up there - only three or four hours of dark, and even then, despite there being no moon it never got completely dark.

the subject of some research. The trouble with all this stuff is that there is really only one way to sort it. You have to go and 'spread the love'. I have a daughter in Glasgow, and I thought I'd go up for a couple of days and give it a go.

Ah - I did wonder why you're going via Glasgow which explains the Glasgow to Oban FNRttC earmarked for next year. You weren't thinking of Glasgow in the context of HPCJoG though were you, as it seems a bit odd to go towards the western side of Scotland, if you're aiming for JoG?

The Forth road bridge (or even the Kessock Bridge in Inverness) with a critical mass of cyclists streaming across would be a quite a picture

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ah - I did wonder why you're going via Glasgow which explains the Glasgow to Oban FNRttC earmarked for next year. You weren't thinking of Glasgow in the context of HPCJoG though were you, as it seems a bit odd to go towards the western side of Scotland, if you're aiming for JoG?

The Forth road bridge (or even the Kessock Bridge in Inverness) with a critical mass of cyclists streaming across would be a quite a picture
you're right - G2O would be a different thing from HPCJoG

my memory of the Kessock Bridge is taking it leaning at ten degrees from the vertical, the crosswind wailing like a banshee through the suspension cables. We'd come down the hill at 48mph, knuckles white. With a tailwind, or no wind at all, we'd have done well over 50mph.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Are there any dates for this yet? i know it's a long way off, but August I can do but June and September I can't. Also a chum might want to come along and he might need to shift some stuff around...............

Top Bottom