The Fridays Tour 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Not you too? Oh, that's Midge Ure, not midge, Awe... or am I getting all tangled up again, Franco? :tongue:

biggrin.gif

martint235

Dog on a bike
Now, for some people that would be too undemanding, and I aniticipate receiving e-mails saying 'sorry, if I'm going to take a week of work I'm going to be looking for something a bit more mega'.

Considering the thought you've already put into this, I would hope that no one would be so rude and ungrateful. Happy to go and "chat" to any such people for you.
thumbsup.png

U

User482

We should equip ourselves with plenty of Avon So Soft then - amazing stuff for keeping midges at bay!

I bought some in hope rather than expectation, but it does actually seem to work! Only problem is lots of dead midges on your arms and legs, but it's better than being bitten...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Considering the thought you've already put into this, I would hope that no one would be so rude and ungrateful. Happy to go and "chat" to any such people for you.
thumbsup.png
it wouldn't be rude. People often have limited holidays, and I can quite see why they might want something different.

martint235

Dog on a bike
it wouldn't be rude. People often have limited holidays, and I can quite see why they might want something different.

I can understand that but no one is forcing anyone into this ride. If people want something different for whatever reason: limited holidays; can't understand 'Teef etc
thumbsup.png
, there are other options.

I can understand that but no one is forcing anyone into this ride. If people want something different for whatever reason: limited holidays; can't understand 'Teef etc
thumbsup.png
, there are other options.

I'm treating this ride like life - I'm not committed to it... yet! But I'll pull out if it makes the group happy. (Fat chance of making you happy, you miserable Northern git) ;)

Edited to add a 't' break.

Wobblers

Euthermic
it is a killer road. As in loads of death. Then again, I woudn't take a group ride down the A24 from Leatherhead to Dorking in the daytime, but, at night, there's nothing about and it would be hard to imagine anything less risky. I have to find out how much traffic there is at night - I suspect very little. I also need to work out if the midges fly at night.

The arrival, if you don't know it, is heartstoppingly beautiful. I would expect, nay, demand tears of joy.

The A82 is a seriously nasty road. It's okay out of Glasgow (Great Western Road) as far as Old Kilpatrick, where it becomes a single lane racetrack - at least, that's how too many locals seem to regard it. There is a cycle path, along the Forth and Clyde Canal. And it's paved. Unfortunately, this being Glasgow, it's paved in broken glass [1]. The A82 where it runs along side Loch Lomond is not somewhere I'd be keen to cycle on in the day, at least. Nor would I be enthusiastic about taking a large group down there at night: far too many blind corners and though traffic is less, too many seem to forget about the existence of brakes. There is a cycle path round Loch Lomond - the old road, and apparently it's quite good. That may be the better option.

Are you thinking of heading off down the A83 to Inverary, then north to Loch Awe? I think that should be very quite at night - I can Make Enquiries and find out...

Edit: there shouldn't be too many little bastards midges in May, and the weather tends to be better (drier!) than later in the summer.

[1] Well, broken Buckie bottles, or as I like to call it: "Glasgow Snow".

The A82 is a seriously nasty road. It's okay out of Glasgow (Great Western Road) as far as Old Kilpatrick, where it becomes a single lane racetrack - at least, that's how too many locals seem to regard it. There is a cycle path, along the Forth and Clyde Canal. And it's paved. Unfortunately, this being Glasgow, it's paved in broken glass [1]. The A82 where it runs along side Loch Lomond is not somewhere I'd be keen to cycle on in the day, at least. Nor would I be enthusiastic about taking a large group down there at night: far too many blind corners and though traffic is less, too many seem to forget about the existence of brakes. There is a cycle path round Loch Lomond - the old road, and apparently it's quite good. That may be the better option.

Are you thinking of heading off down the A83 to Inverary, then north to Loch Awe? I think that should be very quite at night - I can Make Enquiries and find out...

Edit: there shouldn't be too many little bastards midges in May, and the weather tends to be better (drier!) than later in the summer.

[1] Well, broken Buckie bottles, or as I like to call it: "Glasgow Snow".

yep, I mentioned it to my Glaswegian colleague yesterday and all she said was "you be f***ing careful"

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's a long shot, and would require negotiation or an early start, but the Gourock-Dunoon ferry would enable one to avoid trunk roads until well clear of "civilisation".

Whichever way you cut it, Glasgow-Oban is a long trip. Straight up the A road is 90 miles+.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It's a long shot, and would require negotiation or an early start, but the Gourock-Dunoon ferry would enable one to avoid trunk roads until well clear of "civilisation".

Whichever way you cut it, Glasgow-Oban is a long trip. Straight up the A road is 90 miles+.
the subject of some research. The trouble with all this stuff is that there is really only one way to sort it. You have to go and 'spread the love'. I have a daughter in Glasgow, and I thought I'd go up for a couple of days and give it a go.

Top Bottom