The Fridays Tour 2013 with added poll

well, what do you think?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It's Brix, Normandy - 15th to 22nd June

Chateau Le Mont Epinguet is now booked and filled. Chateau Le Val http://www.chateau-le-val-brix.com/accommodation.htm is now available, but we have only a day or two to hold on to the reservation, and with only eight takers and a minimum of fifteen to make it work, we're up against it.

Cost £150 to £230 for the accommodation only - you book your own ferry crossing. Self-catering on a communal basis unless you want to opt out

Location - Cherbourg - 10 miles

Cycling - coastline, markets, sweet villages, 20 miles to 125 miles with alternative rides on some days.

If you've got questions - this is the place to ask

We discussed a moving-on tour going from London, up the east coast of England and over to Cumbria. There would be a mix of days with some long rides and some shorter rides, and the opportunity for the tyros amongst us to zip off and crack a few passes.

We then went on to a centred tour, arranged around a country house or chateau.

There was some interest in Yorkshire, but, for the moment we're looking at two alternatives, although both are works in progress, and there's still space for different ideas.

- Lincolnshire, using a modern holiday home in Tetford and a country house in Skendleby offering accommodation for 46, plus camping in the grounds at Tetford. Both are in the same ownership. We'd pay £7600 for the week plus a bit for the campers, so you're looking at something around £180 each, less for the campers, plus transport plus self-catering costs. We'd probably have a van which might cost about twenty pounds each, there would be a long night/day start, and we'd combine the two house groups for some meals. http://premierpartyproperties.com/ for details, and note that while the place in Tetford doesn't have the charm of the Hall, it does have a pirate ship and an indoor swimming pool.

- Brix, about ten miles south of Cherbourg. Ferries from Poole or Portsmouth, probably no van. The main centre would be at the rather spiffy Chateau La Monte Epinge http://www.simplychateau.com/chateau-details/view/126-villa-vieux-caribe/region/23-normandy/ (£3635), with subsidiary accommodation at http://www.chateau-le-val-brix.com/groups.htm (euro4550/£3640) and/or http://www.locasun.co.uk/63427-Rental-House-Brix.htm (euro500) all of which is probably less expensive than Lincolnshire, but further away and a little pricer to get to.

Sketchley

Über Member
Bugger hit the wrong thing. Should not of ticked "I'm not struck on the country house/chateau idea - I'd prefer a moving-on tour", how do I change it?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Am with Teef on this, a middle of July voyage to enable jollys and then afters for some to wee Paris, would be right up my rue...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I suppose it is unhelpful to tick everything? Obviously I'm not quite as easy as Adrian, but I am in whichever way you play it, and whenever it happens. Slight preference for the Lincolnshire thing, but then I do like Normandy cider...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Doesn't the LEL route run through Lincolnshire?

Great idea, as long as someone else is happy to organise my luggage returning to the UK :smile:
What 'luggage'? It is a bicycle ride for a week or so...
Nope, should be fine. LEL is 28th July. TDF 2013 starts 29th June.. Besides, my legs would have no doubt dropped of by then given the way my body is failing on me..
Sunday 21st of July - the finish of the 100th Tour. 'LEL of the North' a week later...might as well ride straight to the start from Newhaven after riding back from Paris to Dieppe then!
Reverse the thinking Davy; your body failed on you a long time ago...this is merely a hiccup in the rebuilding process. You'll be fine.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I ticked everything.

I don't care where we go. I don't much care when. I'm not bothered if it's centred or moving on. Foreign, Domestic or Colonial are all much the same to me. I'll take pot luck because with 'you lot' I know I'll have a flippin' excellent time, no matter what, when, where or how.

I've no idea what I've ever done to deserve my little place in this wonderful club but...

The Fridays. I'm in love.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Doesn't the LEL route run through Lincolnshire?
It goes over the humber bridge, certainly on the way back, not sure about northwards. The thing about LEL is that peeps who are not riding may be helping out, hence unavailable for The Jolly Boys' Party.

Also, I ticked Lincolnshire and France and late June and early July (cos of LEL), and prefer France by a small margin, simply because I think the weather will be better and the whole thing more exotic. But....
I know I'll have a flippin' excellent time, no matter what, when, where or how.
I've no idea what I've ever done to deserve my little place in this wonderful club but...
The Fridays. I'm in love.
^^^^

finally,
Just had v exciting email from Dell. Am as excited as an excited thing that has a particularly exciting reason to be excited.
I posted this before LonJog. What I felt then, I feel now.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
I am with Greg on this anything would be wonderful!

If I had to choose then it would be Normandy. The food, wine and culture is great and if it rains it is 'french' and still feel like a holiday!!!

If we could combine it with the Tour de France and some northern French roadside for a split second glimpse of the peleton even better!

U

User482

It's unlikely I'll be able to come, but it all sounds fabulous to me. I would have a slight preference for Normandy, based on a liking for Calvados and Pont-l'Évêque.

Top Bottom