FNRttC The Fridays' Tour, 2018

Would you like a centre-based Tour in a town in France in July?

• Yes

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I wonder.....

03037D74-2C49-4217-B2A1-27AEC7BE8B40.jpeg

....strokes chin....

U

User482

I take it Saturday 14th will be a 'getting there' day rather than a 'going for a ride' day? Given recent problems at work getting odd days off definitely easier for me if Saturday's just for travelling. Getting to the ferry port for the overnighter to Caen after work would be tight if not impossible too.
On the subject of ferries: the Portsmouth-Le Havre sailings are 2145 on Friday, 2330 on other nights, all arriving 0830.
Caen- well, we know it's Ouistreham- sailings are 0815 (arrives 1500), 1445 (2130) and 2245 (0645)- all daily.
Fast cat to Cherbourg (and hence SNCF to Liseux, usual PITA excuse for a timetable but if you get a direct one about 1hr 45) is at 9, arrives 1300.
I was thinking of taking the overnight crossing on the 13th to Le Havre. It looks to be about 60km for there, which would make a nice, leisurely start to the tour. Overnight ferries back from France would need to be from Caen, unless I've misread the timetable.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I was thinking of taking the overnight crossing on the 13th to Le Havre. It looks to be about 60km for there, which would make a nice, leisurely start to the tour.
Like that idea myself (Ouistreham would work well too..)....think I'll see if I can book the Friday off...

jiberjaber

Veteran
Ack - 40th birthday clash on Fête nationale means I'm out of the running.... unless I can pull off some cunning cycling shenanigans and meet you over there later.. , I've just asked "how fussed are you about your 40th birthday" to which I just had a laugh as a reply...more planning required!

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Overnight ferries back from France would need to be from Caen, unless I've misread the timetable.
I've found the daytime ferry from Caen arrives too late to be sure of getting the train I wanted so have stayed in an Ibis Budget in Portsmouth but did this only once: it's better to spend the evening in a decent place to eat not far from the ferry then doze in a reclining seat or on the floor of the ferry and arrive in Portsmouth at a reasonable time. I did this after an unsuccessful attempt at a long ride and found it very relaxing.

I might be taking a car, so there could scope for shared luggage hauling. Will be looking into the logistics.
Scrub that. In fact due to the need to take account of summer events for Rebecca's new venture but mainly the logistics of being away most of May because of getting married, meaning the cats going into a cattery for an extended period, I'm loathe to force them to endure that again 6 weeks later, especially as one of them is rather elderly and has never been in a cattery before.

So sadly, Rebecca and I are out of The Tour, meaning our lovely new red tandem won't get a foreign outing just yet.

Whilst I'm thinking about this, has anyone pointed out that Saturday 14th July is Bastille Day. There could be travel implications for anyone looking at French trains, or expecting shops to be open.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Bump…
Finally got round to sorting the bookings, after I finally got the leave form back for 13 July…didn't get that day (boo!) which rules out getting the overnighter, so I'll be getting the 8.15 to Ouistreham on Saturday morning. At first, I booked a ferry back on Sunday night (whoops!) but amended that, back from Le Havre Saturday night. Ibis Budget.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Might be worth asking ibis budget where they want you to put the bike: I think F1 don't care so you take it to the room but ibis prefer bikes out of the room but the budget ones do not have a space to put them. With Gordon I once had to chain the bikes up in the car park outside.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
That is a really useful piece of kit. I've always hankered after a campervan. Sadly, they cost more than a tent. Or, to be honest, more than six tents. Which is what I have now.

Top Bottom