The future of bicycle gearing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
You get to do away with two chainrings, a front mech, and a shifter.......

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sram/xx1-xg1199-11-speed-cassette-ec045124?
sram-xx1-xg1199-11-speed-cassette.jpg

...........but:

1. Replacing it costs ~300 quid
2. The 10 tooth sprocket will wear quickly
3. You'll be forced to use large chain angles to access the highest and lowest gears
4. The highest and lowest gears will involve the rear derailleur at minimum and maximum stretch respectively (chain take up and pay out)

Is it worth it?

Slioch

Guru
I can see it could be of benefit in some "niche" applications (e.g. cross-country, mountain bikes etc), but 300 large ones is a lot of dosh and the price would need to come down for it to be adopted for more general use. You could buy a whole new bike for that money (as the Triban owners on here are always keen to inform us ^_^).

D

Deleted member 23692

i'm just in the process of converting my MTB to a 1x10 setup - a 32 chain ring with a 11-42 cassette. Just Glad I'm not paying SRAM prices :eek:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I tried a 40t expander last week ,32 narrow wide front.
you lose the 17 at the back and it makes the gear ratios crap..superstar version.
im back on 2x10 and will be staying there..the sram cassette will be even at least

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
lol, yes. I did find another plus point about it, the ease of cleaning compared to derailleurs.

Tony.

Chain life is another.

The higher chain line keeps it out of the muck, meaning less wear.

A lot of chain wear is caused by the chain scraping across the cassette, which, of course, doesn't happen with a hub gear.

The chain line is permanently straight on a hub gear, which also helps reduce wear.

Top Bottom