'The Glorious First'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Very soon i shall be going to Manchester.Our lad is moving in to his new APARTMENT ,not a flat.It is soooo nice i have been told.So i am going to upset the locals and wear my Yorkshire cycling tee shirt.See you tonight if i make it back home.

stephec

Legendary Member
.........to Lancashire. 😂😂😂

stephec

Legendary Member
Very soon i shall be going to Manchester.Our lad is moving in to his new APARTMENT ,not a flat.It is soooo nice i have been told.So i am going to upset the locals and wear my Yorkshire cycling tee shirt.See you tonight if i make it back home.
Don't forget to quarantine yourself, and I'm mean on the way here not going home. 🤣

classic33

Leg End Member
And for those less fortunate(@stephec), a reminder
N.I.P..jpg

Venod

Eh up
The Yorkshire Lord's Prayer.

Ahr Fatther, 'oo art in 'Eaven,
Let thy name bi shown respect,
Let thy Kingdom come abaht -
An' what tha wants doin' Lord, let it bi done -
'Ere on earth
Same as up yonder;
Gi'e us each day
Summat to eyt an' sup;
An' let us off, Lord,
If we've offended thee by doin' owt wrong -
An' 'elp us nut to 'od grudges
Agen other fowk
If the've done owt to offend us;
An' keep us aht o' t' road o' temptation,
An aht o' 't clutches of Owd Nick'
Fer it's all thine is t' Kingdom, Lord,
An' all t' Pahr, an' all t' Glooary,
Fer ivver an' ivver...
Aye! It is that!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Happy Yorkshire day everyone! Seeing Richard‘s map made me think what a brilliant long weekend Ride you could do around the bounds of the old county.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Happy Yorkshire day everyone! Seeing Richard‘s map made me think what a brilliant long weekend Ride you could do around the bounds of the old county.....
It would be a long, hard ride! There is an official West Yorkshire Cycle Route and even that is about 250 km (155 miles) and hilly or very hilly for about two thirds of it.

I did plan to have a go at the WYCR on day as a forum ride if I ever got fit enough. I'd want it to be mid-summer, starting soon after sunrise to allow plenty of daylight hours to get round at a leisurely pace. I'm not sure that I will ever be up to that kind of thing again, but let's be optimistic, eh? :whistle:

I would probably change the route slightly to avoid a couple of towns which are only passed through so the route can stick close to the county boundary.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I was very surprised to see how far into what is now Lancashire the West Riding went (shown in that graphic). On one ride I spotted a border marker stone at the top of the Trough of Bowland...

View attachment 539152
The Great land grab of 1974, thousands of innocents went to bed as Yorkshire residents and woke up as Teessiders & even worse Lancastrians in a diabolical invasion, engineered by HM Government, then they split the West Riding up to invent the fictional South Yorkshire, and Hull was put into the the even less believable Humberside, and could only gaze wistfully to the West to see East Yorkshire where they were cut off from, one day we will be reunified just like East & West Germany :okay:

I was very surprised to see how far into what is now Lancashire the West Riding went (shown in that graphic). On one ride I spotted a border marker stone at the top of the Trough of Bowland...

View attachment 539152

There are far more detailed maps available

Pity poor Todmorden, the boundary passed through the Town Hall....
Neighbours were split, even houses straddled the boundary
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.71382&lon=-2.09708&layers=168&b=1

I can remember when that wasn't far off the truth at Yeadon Airport
(still is, at Ringways!!!)

classic33

Leg End Member
The Great land grab of 1974, thousands of innocents went to bed as Yorkshire residents and woke up as Teessiders & even worse Lancastrians in a diabolical invasion, engineered by HM Government, then they split the West Riding up to invent the fictional South Yorkshire, and Hull was put into the the even less believable Humberside, and could only gaze wistfully to the West to see East Yorkshire where they were cut off from, one day we will be reunified just like East & West Germany :okay:
It's been the East Riding of Yorkshire, again, since the 1st April 1996.

Top Bottom