'The Glorious First'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
There are far more detailed maps available

Pity poor Todmorden, the boundary passed through the Town Hall....
Neighbours were split, even houses straddled the boundary
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.71382&lon=-2.09708&layers=168&b=1
Three Counties in one spot!
CAM01457.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pity poor Todmorden, the boundary passed through the Town Hall....
Some website forms insist that Todmorden is in West Yorkshire, some in Lancashire. I have an Oldham postcode (Greater Manchester) but a West Yorkshire council.

1596322703408.png

Some website forms insist that Todmorden is in West Yorkshire, some in Lancashire. I have an Oldham postcode (Greater Manchester) but a West Yorkshire council.

Other oddities include
Sherburn-in-Elmet

North Yorkshire
District of Selby
Leeds postcode ('LS')
Pontefract dialling code (01977)

Elmet, hasn't existed for a long time; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmet

Venod

Eh up
Other oddities include
Sherburn-in-Elmet

That whole leg of North Yorkshire is an oddity.

I can ride South East from home (Pontefract) and be in North Yorkshire in less than 15 minutes, Kirk Smeaton about a 10 mile South Easterly ride is the most southern village in North Yorkshire, it has a Pontefract Post and Dialing Code, it used to be in The West Riding.

Domus

Guru
Number one daughter married a Yorkshireman.

I still speak to her...........now and again.

What is the definition of a Yorkshireman?

A Scotsman stripped of his generosity. ^_^

I can ride South East from home (Pontefract) and be in North Yorkshire in less than 15 minutes, Kirk Smeaton about a 10 mile South Easterly ride is the most southern village in North Yorkshire, it has a Pontefract Post and Dialing Code, it used to be in The West Riding.
Indeed it is
North Yorkshire starts at Fairburn, there's a sign for District Of Selby on Newton Lane
It's by the RSPB, where Back Newton Lane joins it

Number one daughter married a Yorkshireman.

I still speak to her...........now and again.

What is the definition of a Yorkshireman?
A Scotsman stripped of his generosity. ^_^
Don't forget the other two
Worn Out Suit, With Brand New Pockets (a phrase used as a song title, by Dave Edmunds - who's Welsh...)
Short Arms, Deep Pockets

A Yorkshireman goes into his LBS
"Yes Sir, May I help you?"
"Can I Just Have The Freewheel Pleas
e?"

On the cross-border syndrome
I work with someone from Barnoldswick
He's not that keen on the fact that it was in the West Riding
(he's too young to remember it though)

Another lad is from Burnley, but he's seen sense
He married a Yorkshire lass:okay:

The Great land grab of 1974, thousands of innocents went to bed as Yorkshire residents and woke up as Teessiders & even worse Lancastrians in a diabolical invasion, engineered by HM Government, then they split the West Riding up to invent the fictional South Yorkshire, and Hull was put into the the even less believable Humberside, and could only gaze wistfully to the West to see East Yorkshire where they were cut off from, one day we will be reunified just like East & West Germany :okay:
Look on the bright side, a few former tykes found themselves in the fortunate position of becoming Cumbrians.

Venod

Eh up
North Yorkshire starts at Fairburn

The closest bit of North Yokshire to our house is Brotherton just South of Fairburn its just over a mile to The River Aire which I think is the border, a lot of people think of Brotherton as West Yorkshire, it has a West Yorkshire postcode.

Near Kirk Smeaton you can go South West from South Yorkshire and end up in North Yorkshire.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member

Skipton, North Riding, has a Bradford, West Riding, postcode.

DRM

Guru
Probably the best place to need help from the emergency services would be around the A19/M62 junction as you will probably be attended to from North, South ,East & West Yorks emergency services !!!

Top Bottom