The Gods of Mount Olympus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Curious as to how high above sea level you live?

117M, 384ft, here in Poshire. Not bad, but hardly going to gove me a nosebleed. Nevertheless, I'm well inland here and theres nothing higher between us and the North Sea.

According to Google Earth my alt is 75m which is higher than expected. I think the real value is under 40m.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just below 775 feet above sea level. Still get regular flood warning letters*, the same as those living 200 higher.

*Should any of the nearby reservoir's burst/collapse.

i think most of us will live lower than that, cos most of our UK towns/cities are by/near rivers. I tried to confirm this with some actual facts. Google gave this bizarre result:

The 10 highest English cities
  • Stoke-on-Trent - 275.9m.
  • Birmingham - 246.6m.
  • Bath - 229.9m.
  • Leeds - 198m.
  • Wolverhampton - 175.9m.
  • Plymouth - 167.8m.
  • Coventry - 161.8m.
  • Brighton - 155.6m.
Really? Brighton???
https://www.google.com/search?q=hig...hUKEwixvses_9DwAhUCDmMBHZn3BuAQ4dUDCA4&uact=5

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My good friends at the OS say I am at 50m, but I live in a dip surrounded by water on 3 sides. Luckily I own 4 kayaks and 2 paddleboards.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
i think most of us will live lower than that, cos most of our UK towns/cities are by/near rivers. I tried to confirm this with some actual facts. Google gave this bizarre result:

The 10 highest English cities
  • Stoke-on-Trent - 275.9m.
  • Birmingham - 246.6m.
  • Bath - 229.9m.
  • Leeds - 198m.
  • Wolverhampton - 175.9m.
  • Plymouth - 167.8m.
  • Coventry - 161.8m.
  • Brighton - 155.6m.
Really? Brighton???
https://www.google.com/search?q=hig...hUKEwixvses_9DwAhUCDmMBHZn3BuAQ4dUDCA4&uact=5

Stoke at the top of a list, strange !

Just below 775 feet above sea level. Still get regular flood warning letters*, the same as those living 200 higher.

*Should any of the nearby reservoir's burst/collapse.

How does that work? Do you get a letter saying "Don't forget the Dam upstream may break at some point."?
What are you supposed to do about this, carry a life ring?

Last edited:
Top Bottom