The Golfist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Oh that’s my game alright, I grew up playing on an old airfield golf course where the wind was as brutal as playing on a links course.

Playing The Machrie and the dunes course next door, looking forward to it
In that case you are built for Argyll golf. The Dunes is magic but they have taken the edge of it to cater for the American market but I still always play there when I'm down. I love the Machrie but haven't been over since they redesigned the course but I hear some excellent reports about it and I like the idea of see the sea from every tee. If the weather turns or you fancy something a bit simpler, get yourself over to the other side of the mull and give Dunaverty a go. A hidden gem is how it's been describe in golfing circles and I know that you wouldn't be disappointed. 👍

Reactions: L Q

L Q

Über Member
In that case you are built for Argyll golf. The Dunes is magic but they have taken the edge of it to cater for the American market but I still always play there when I'm down. I love the Machrie but haven't been over since they redesigned the course but I hear some excellent reports about it and I like the idea of see the sea from every tee. If the weather turns or you fancy something a bit simpler, get yourself over to the other side of the mull and give Dunaverty a go. A hidden gem is how it's been describe in golfing circles and I know that you wouldn't be disappointed. 👍
Dunaverty is on my radar for the afternoon as we are playing Mach Dunes in the morning.

The American market is what is killing golf in Scotland, I played Dumbarnie 2 weeks ago, really nice course but fairways so wide for the Americans.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i was lucky enough to play off single figures during my 20yr spell of playing the game and run my own golf business too.

I gave up after losing 4st when i started cycling and lost my swing........i was struggling to find the club head thru the down stroke and was trying to fight a constant hook.

-20 for a golf pro is nonsense......no professional gives the course 20 shots and if i remember correctly, Ian poulter turned pro with a +4 handicap

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/things-you-didnt-know-about-ian-poulter

Slick

Guru
i was lucky enough to play off single figures during my 20yr spell of playing the game and run my own golf business too.

I gave up after losing 4st when i started cycling and lost my swing........i was struggling to find the club head thru the down stroke and was trying to fight a constant hook.

-20 for a golf pro is nonsense......no professional gives the course 20 shots and if i remember correctly, Ian poulter turned pro with a +4 handicap

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/things-you-didnt-know-about-ian-poulter
I think its changed days now and the fact that it's an interesting fact for Poulter is that it was most probably unusual even then. I know a young guy who has been in training scince he could walk and was featured on sky sports before he was in school. He competed all over the world as a school boy and competed in whatever the junior equivalent of the Ryder cup is both home and away. I think it became obvious around 16 years old that he wasn't going to make it as he was still +2 and his counterparts were all at least -4.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think its changed days now and the fact that it's an interesting fact for Poulter is that it was most probably unusual even then. I know a young guy who has been in training scince he could walk and was featured on sky sports before he was in school. He competed all over the world as a school boy and competed in whatever the junior equivalent of the Ryder cup is both home and away. I think it became obvious around 16 years old that he wasn't going to make it as he was still +2 and his counterparts were all at least -4.
Just to put that inperspective the average golf pro is -5.6

Tiger woods was -8

Dave7

Legendary Member

A guy who has a local golf shop told me he was a pro off scratch but scratch is nowhere near good enough to earn a living.
Similarly a pro at a local course played all over the uk and in some USA comps. Did OK but barely covered expenses. Travel, hotels, caddies...... you have to be winning serious money to cover that.

L Q

Über Member
It is, I will be there at the beginning of the month, probably my one and only visit of the year. If you haven't been before you might want to practice hitting them low now. :eek:
Thought I would let you know about our trip to Machrihanish, went for 7 days played

Skiskine
2 rounds at the Machrie
Machrihanish dunes
Dunaverty
Machrihanish
Glasgow Gailes

Went in the 1st week in October, shorts and tee shirt weather every day, couldn’t believe our luck, even the wettest day on history we played Machrihanish dunes and it stayed totally dry.

Loved Islay, what a stunning place, I want to return and take my bike.

Slick

Guru
Thought I would let you know about our trip to Machrihanish, went for 7 days played

Skiskine
2 rounds at the Machrie
Machrihanish dunes
Dunaverty
Machrihanish
Glasgow Gailes

Went in the 1st week in October, shorts and tee shirt weather every day, couldn’t believe our luck, even the wettest day on history we played Machrihanish dunes and it stayed totally dry.

Loved Islay, what a stunning place, I want to return and take my bike.
Some of the best golf around right there. 👍

I love Islay, best b&b ever is the Machrie guest house but I haven't been there for a number of years, so haven't even played the new layout yet but they tell me it's good. Great you got the weather, those courses can appear pretty simple in benign conditions but add a bit of wind over your left shoulder and you have a game on your hands. :okay:

L Q

Über Member
Some of the best golf around right there. 👍

I love Islay, best b&b ever is the Machrie guest house but I haven't been there for a number of years, so haven't even played the new layout yet but they tell me it's good. Great you got the weather, those courses can appear pretty simple in benign conditions but add a bit of wind over your left shoulder and you have a game on your hands. :okay:
Stayed 2 nights at the Machrie hotel, amazing place and the staff couldn’t do enough. Would love to go back.

The golf course is right up there for me, it’s in my top 10 and I have been lucky enough to play some awesome courses over the last few years.

The Machrie we didn’t have more than a club wind for 2 days. Incredible.

Oh and the way I played I didn’t find any course simple 😳

Top Bottom