The Golfist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you a golfist? Do you like talking about your different bats and wearing Val Doonican's jersey when out and about on the golf pitch?

Well, I don't, but thought those that do might like somewhere to chat about their latest over.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
somewhere to chat about their latest over.
Is that not cricket? :laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I used to be a golfist, but a very bad golfist. I had always been into cycling to a lesser extent, and motorbikes to a bigger extent. I found that I had too many weather dependent hobbies, and given the very limited number of dry days in my local area, something had to give. Golf got dumped as it was becoming quite expensive, and to justify the fees you have to play quite regularly. With it went the Paisley pattern Pringle jerseys and matching socks, the bright coloured troosers, and the BMW (ok, the last one is a lie, I've never had nor wanted one of them. It was a VW Golf).
I can honestly say I don't miss golf much.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I thought this was going to be about aquariums. I thought it said Goldfish.

I am an ex golfer. I left the elitism of golf and it followed me into cycling. 😁

I played off a 9 handicap for a while. I have played some wonderful golf courses. The most important thing I learnt is that most of the time you do not have to be a golf club member to eat at a golf club. A pair of tidy trousers and jacket usually gets you admitted.

Another ex- golfist here. Used to play every weekend and at least one evening in the week during summer.

Never had an official handicap, but I used to work it out and got down to 15 at one point.

Then I came off my bike and broke my elbow, and I now have a restriction in the extension of my right arm, and even though it is minimal I was just never comfortable after that.

I persevered for a while, but it wasn't improving so I made the decision to jack it in.

Sold everything, (and believe me I was a golf tart :girldance:), Callaway everything, electric trolley, full wet weather gear, the whole kit and caboodle, and bought another bike :laugh:

Last time I played I hadn't swung a club in probably 5+ years, and went out with borrowed clubs, (I'm 6'5" so my own clubs had been custom fitted), normal shoes on etc and shot around the high 80's, so although I do miss it some times as we used to have a right crack, and it's not something I'll ever get really back into, but if I can do that once in a blue moon that'll do for me.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I used to play in my early 30s, I was never a member of a club or anything, I'd just go and visit pay and play courses with a work mate. I was never too super either, I'd go round a par 72 with an average score in the mid 90s.
I still like a driving range, my company department often takes us out to Top Golf ranges when we're all together in the US and that can be a good laugh. I suppose anything is a laugh when you add free beer and chicken wings.

What struck me about the sport, (and part of what made me lose interest) was the sheer number of massive, self-obsessed bell ends that it seems to attract. Not everyone, obviously, but quite a lot compared to other pastimes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My Uncle was a keen golfer, he was 'House Chairman'* at Cosby and was made Captain for a year, never wore anything other than a pair of 'slacks' usually grey or beige and a nice plain pullover when on the course. He tried to get me into it as a youth** and I was a junior member for a couple of years but once I hit 16 the yearly 'subs' were astronomical so I quit.

* the 'House Chairman' was the bloke who organised all the pissups social events in the clubhouse :becool:

** Both of his sons were born severely disabled so I became his surrogate son.

You'd have liked my Uncle @Drago , instead of doing 'National Service' he 'signed on' for 3 years and became a Sergeant in the Coldstream Guards, after a stint in Korea he became an instructor in rifle training for his last year ( a really good 'Marksman')

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Golfists? You mean ball whackers? Never got it myself, though when I ran the local Cub pack we often did the driving range of an evening. Mind you, my local club is nice to pedal around and see how the other half lives, Wentworth it is. Lots of posh ball whackers.

Slick

Guru
So no regular golfers on a thread about golfing, go figure. Lol

I'm still a keen club golfer and did my stint on the committee before becoming captain. I nearly gave up a couple of years back when my back just became too painful but I managed to patch it up and soon got back into the swing of things again. Great sport for meeting people, never really met many of the massive bell ends that some of you have but I have met some of the finest old school gents your ever likely to meet, sadly most of them are no longer around.

We also have an annual family golfing weekend when we get together for a cracking weekend of golf, drinks, good food and much hilarity and it certainly beats just meeting up at funerals.

I guess it's what you make it though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don't know much about golfism, but isn't a 9 handicap considered pretty good?
Its not bad, but its relative. Literally, My brother played of 4 and my sister6. I was always buying the beer. 😊 I played with a golf course designer from Switzerland. He was a young English guy and we were playing in the Dominican Republic. He had a minus 5 handicap. He was phenominal. I asked if he had thought of turning pro and he said he wasnt good enough. He explained to be a top class pro he would need to be a minus 20 handicap. I went on to walk alongside Seve Ballesteros in a practice round at Penina in Portugal and saw what he meant. It was mind boggling what Seve could do.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I last done golf in October 1994. I was asked to stop by the owners of a hotel adjacent to the Indian Ocean, where my wife & I were staying on our weddymoon.

When playing the holes adjacent to the Ocean, my inadvertent habit of raising my head to see where the golf pill was heading was causing said item to describe a curve known as a slice and land in the water, and the owners were worried that the sheer number I was hitting thus might mean that the hotel was inundated.

Reverted to more sensible sports like angling...

Top Bottom