The Golfist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Golf just seems an extraordinary deprival of open spaces for the masses.
Golf is for the masses. Well it is in Scotland anyway.

Slick

Guru
Or try this. :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
My Uncle was a keen golfer, he was 'House Chairman'* at Cosby and was made Captain for a year, never wore anything other than a pair of 'slacks' usually grey or beige and a nice plain pullover when on the course. He tried to get me into it as a youth** and I was a junior member for a couple of years but once I hit 16 the yearly 'subs' were astronomical so I quit.

* the 'House Chairman' was the bloke who organised all the pissups social events in the clubhouse :becool:

** Both of his sons were born severely disabled so I became his surrogate son.

You'd have liked my Uncle @Drago , instead of doing 'National Service' he 'signed on' for 3 years and became a Sergeant in the Coldstream Guards, after a stint in Korea he became an instructor in rifle training for his last year ( a really good 'Marksman')
Is that Crosby in Liverpool.
My uncle (Dave Smith) was a very long term member there till he died. Past captain.
Very wealthy and liked to show it.
His Volvo reg was DS1.
My aunty's reg was MS1.
If you are in touch with any old members I am sure they will recall him.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So no regular golfers on a thread about golfing, go figure. Lol

I'm still a keen club golfer and did my stint on the committee before becoming captain. I nearly gave up a couple of years back when my back just became too painful but I managed to patch it up and soon got back into the swing of things again. Great sport for meeting people, never really met many of the massive bell ends that some of you have but I have met some of the finest old school gents your ever likely to meet, sadly most of them are no longer around.

We also have an annual family golfing weekend when we get together for a cracking weekend of golf, drinks, good food and much hilarity and it certainly beats just meeting up at funerals.

I guess it's what you make it though.
Where is your club Slick?
I am a member of the seniors section at our club. Its very active eg 60+ play in the Thursday comps.
Alder Root, near Warrington.
I can't think of any horrible pricks that others mention.
There are, of course, people who are not my cup of tea but I am sure some feel the same about me. I know, hard to believe but true :wacko:

Slick

Guru
Where is your club Slick?
I am a member of the seniors section at our club. Its very active eg 60+ play in the Thursday comps.
Alder Root, near Warrington.
I can't think of any horrible pricks that others mention.
There are, of course, people who are not my cup of tea but I am sure some feel the same about me. I know, hard to believe but true :wacko:
I do find that hard to believe. :laugh:

This is my course, took a while to grow on me but I really enjoy it now, so if ever your in the area. :okay: The second link is our weekend family challenge, and suits my game better despite the additional challenges.
https://caldwellgolfclub.com/
http://www.machgolf.com/

Slick

Guru
Off to Machrahanish at the end of September, can’t wait as it’s looks amazing.
It is, I will be there at the beginning of the month, probably my one and only visit of the year. If you haven't been before you might want to practice hitting them low now. :eek:

L Q

Über Member
It is, I will be there at the beginning of the month, probably my one and only visit of the year. If you haven't been before you might want to practice hitting them low now. :eek:
Oh that’s my game alright, I grew up playing on an old airfield golf course where the wind was as brutal as playing on a links course.

Playing The Machrie and the dunes course next door, looking forward to it

Top Bottom