The Good Old Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some nice pics there! I have the TDF 2003 centenary book http://www.amazon.com/The-Official-Tour-France-Centennial/dp/1841882399 loads of pics just a pity it has Lance on the front.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
tour de france smoking.jpg
drinking_alcohol_in_the_tour_de_france.jpeg.png
My two favorites..

I've linked to this several times, but I didn't realise that it's an outtake from a short documentary, directed by Louis Malle! You can see the entire documentary, without subtitles on vimeo, and you can find a transcript of the text here. Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but the transcript has the explicitly dealing with doping around the 10.30 mark.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Didn't look like the tyres/tubs were too reliable in those days!
Nope, that was another reason Christophe didn't win in 1919. People felt so sorry for him after the broken fork episode and the p-fairy visits, that they raised a fund for him greater than the purse for the TDF. (Jean -Paul Ollivier, Maillot Jaune)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I know one was penalised because he had the blacksmiths son operating the bellows on the forge for him. Whilst he fixed the bike.
How times change.

Eugene Christophe. I think the penalty was of the order of 15 minutes but fixing the fork took several hours.

***Not quite: Wikipedia

"It took two hours to reach the forge. Lecomte offered to weld the broken forks back together but a race official and managers of rival teams would not allow it. A rider, said the rules, was responsible for his own repairs and outside assistance was prohibited. Christophe set about the repair as Lecomte told him what to do. It took three hours and the race judge penalised him 10 minutes - reduced later to three - because Christophe had allowed a seven-year old boy, Corni, to pump the bellows for him"

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
The famous battle between Anquetil and Poulidor on the Puy de Dome in 1964 -

View attachment 61972
I've been up there. I think they try to discourage cyclists nowadays though. Too many crashes maybe.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Does that bike have gears? I cant see a rear derailure, but the chain line looks wrong back to the front chain ring
old-tour-7-jpg.61882.jpg

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Top Bottom